The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
that is the one for the ecu it does not matter which wire goes to which as it goes completely off of resistance

to clarify everything

1g's have 4 sensors the one on the very top of the thermostat housing is for your ac fan. Then there is one that has a two wire connector, one vertical and one horizontal ,that is the temperature sensor for the ecu. If this sensor is bad the car will have a very hard time starting due to fuel enrichment during the start up. Then there is one with two vacuum lines hooked up to it. this sensor is for your emissions system, Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and is not even needed from the factory. Most people pull this sensor and replace with an aftermarket water temperature gauge sending unit. Then there is a small sensor. This sensor goes to the little gauge in your instrument cluster.

so it was the coolant sensor? I can get my car to start after a while if i keep hitting the gas while cranking, maybe fuel pump? :confused:

Mine was the coolant sensor, it would crank and crank and no matter where I held the throttle it wouldn't even try to fire. There is a way to test the fuel pump, if you have some kind of service manual it will explain how to do it there. It could also be that you're losing fuel pressure.

so it was the coolant sensor? I can get my car to start after a while if i keep hitting the gas while cranking, maybe fuel pump? :confused:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Do you have the right fuel pressure? If you tell us the fuel pressure during cranking, we can tell you if it's not the pump.

What voltage does your coolant temp sensor display at your ECU? You can check that with a scanner, or DSMLink, or whatever you're using. If you don't have any of that, you're at a serious disadvantage, but you could check it at ECU pin 20 (yellow&green) with a DVOM. If you have an open circut, you'll see 5V.

Do you ever get strange clicking noises in the center console?

Do you ever get strange clicking noises in the center console?

yeah i dont have any of those LOL, i'll probably just buy the coolant sensor since its under $30, and no i havent ever heard clicking from the center console. I need dsm link though theres alot of stuff i cant do without it LOL.

OK. I have a 1999 Eclipse 2.0 non-turbo. It will crank but it won't start. It is getting a spark and it is getting fuel. Checked the pressure at the fuel rail and the spark plugs definitely smell like gas. The battery is good and the starter is good. And nothing appears to be disconnected. It sounds like it will almost start, but it doesn't quite. All of this started after merely cleaning off some corrosion around the battery terminals. I am not sure if I accidentally shorted something out somehow or not.

I was thinking it may be the ECU or the camshaft sensor. I checked the voltage on the camshaft sensor connector and the only thing I found odd was that it was only receiving 9 volts from the ECU. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am stuck. Thanks.

OK, so I can rule out the camshaft sensor....

I have done a wiggle tap test with the battery. Everything is good with the battery.

How can I test whether the ECU is bad? Can I do something myself or would I have to take it in?

From experience, a visual check on the ECU is to check the Capacitors. What can happen is that the caps blow, if the exceed a threshold point.... they pop... Its pretty clear... there will be sort of fiberglass sticking out... smells like fish too... haha, actually, i found my ECU bad when i noticed that there was a smell when i was putting in a new carpet... i must of shorted a wire from the Apex fuel controller.... This is not much info, but its just an experience i went through... if its the case, they sell CAP kits that you can replace, or just go to a junkyard and grab a ecu... really cheap.... dishonestly enough, i put mine under my belt and just bought something small... hope i don't get flammed for that comment

good luck

Thanks. I will check it out.

Can anyone think of anything else it could possibly be? If it isn't the ECU, I really have no clue.

You could try tapping the pcm with a plastic hammer or the handle of a bfs while a buddy tries to start the car. I have no idea why cars do the things they do after something as simple as cleaning a battery. That should have had nothing to do with a crank/no start. Oh btw "tapping" not "banging". Hope this helps?

Still not working. Are there any other ideas before I go buy an ECU? I am stuck...literally. The car has been sitting for 3 weeks. Please help if you have an idea. Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem on my old 98 eclipse gs. It would crank but won't start . It happens when its cold outside, the car sat through winter of 2007. Last year I decided to check the fuek pump, it primed. I ripped my alarm, remote start thingy out, it was any of those. It turn out it was those relays on fire wall by the battery, I think there was 3 of them for an automatic.

Checked the coolant temp sensor? It can be found here:

84885d1214799804-2g-engine-bay-electrical-connections-38.-engine-coolant-temperature-sensor-medium-.jpg

sounds like you have a short in the coolant temp sensor i would replace it.You should also see if your ground wires are corroded ive had a no start or rough idle and start with heavely corodded wires You know that green crap

When was the last time you changed the timing belt if the car has jumped time it will crank all day but will not start but the ECU will do the same if it is bad i wold put the engine TDC and check all timing marks if all is good you my have a bad ECU hop this helps

Bought the coolant temp sensor and I am going to give that a shot and replace it. Is there anything special I need to know before I do it. Is it just a matter of unscrewing the sensor and putting a new one in with sealant? Thanks.

Thanks for your help guys. I installed the new coolant temperature sensor and it started right up. Only now, it seems like it is running kind of rough. Maybe like it isn't firing quite right or one plug isn't firing. Not sure.

Does anyone have another idea ?? i have 2 eclipses GST 2G.

One of them i bought from a collector, it has only 23k miles, everything original, a perfect car, like brand new. Some weeks ago i have this cold start issue, 4 or 5 times cranking.

I have dsmlink on both cars.

- I´ve already changed plugs, checked wires.

- I checked the coolant temp sensor, when pluged shows 27ºC when unpluged shows -40ºC on dsmlink, and when car is hot shows around 90ºC, so my sensor is fine.

- Changed the fuel pump, checked the fuel pressure regulator on the rail.

- Changed my injectors from 450cc to 550cc and ajusted that on dsmlink, then injectors is not the problem too.

- Removed the ISC, tested all coils, everything fine (around 30ohms).

- I logged the MAF on dsmlink, seems to be perfect too.

Another good thing from dsmlink is that my fuel pump starts when key is on, then when i crank i already have full pressure from pump available.

When hot, idle is perfect, car runs perfect and mileage is very good, only first start of the day is the problem.

I noticed one thing: When car is in idle, i unpluged the cam sensor and nothing happened, engine continue runing fine, then i put it back. When i unpluged the crank sensor, engine died.
Is it normal ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back