The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Starter Hitting Flywheel but not Starting Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krummel21

15+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2004
Charles City, Iowa
I can here and feel the vibration of the starter hitting the flywheel but it won't start the car. I checked the voltage at the main wire and it sees the same that the battery is putting out (12.4 volts). I also checked the black/yellow wire and it is not showing any voltage with the key off.

What else would cause this problem?

The starter and battery are new. My next check is to see if the relay is bad.
I unbolted the plate from under the dash that I think the relay should be attached to which one is the relay?

Attachments

• Picture 004 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 004 (Medium).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 132
Are you saying it's engaging the flywheel, but not turning it?

Yea its hitting the flywheel but that's it then it retracts. If I hook another car up to it and put jumper cables in between it will start though.

Which one of those are the ignition relay?

I think maybe its not keeping the solenoid open to give the starter more power. Does that make sense or not?

I ran into this same issue on mine. i deduced that the starter motors on the awd versions requires a certain amount of electrical pressure to engage the starter gear %100. in other words, you need a new battery that puts out better than 700 cranking amps. thats why it starts when you jump it off another vehicle. try it, and save yourself months of headache. this is of course assuming everything else works. it`s unlikely that the starter relay just suddenly went bad. even though it is possible. the battery solution is easier and cheaper. make sure you havn`t messed with the rest of the system, and the grounds are good.

Alright I will try that next if these relays check out alright. Which relay is the starter relay though?

are non of hose the starter relay? I pulled each one out and still heard and felt the starter hit the flywheel

I think the alarm is messed up because the door locks do not work and the alarm doesn't come on anymore. Would this cause the starter to do this?

Alright I found that in order to start the car I have to roll the car either forward or backwards while in gear then it would start right up. If I turn the car off it will not start until I move it again. What do you think would cause this?

Well I figured it out tonight. I ended up taking off the starter and taking it to carquest to get tested but it turned out alright. I then tried hooking the battery directly to the solenoid switch which ended up cranking starter instantly. I finally found the relay, replaced it and everything works perfect now. Tanks for all your help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back