1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Starter grinding horribly

Posted by BLOHS7844, Aug 19, 2012

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. BLOHS7844

BLOHS7844 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    So I had some machining done to my head and had my car down for a bit. I went to start it and was grinding terribly. Starter bolts were a little loose but I took my starter out and the teeth looked fine and I tested it which killed it in the process (don't ask) :ohdamn:

Replaced the starter and it was fine for maybe 10 seconds of cranking overall. (not 10 seconds all at once) and the started grinding a little too. I pushed in the clutch and that actually seemed to help for a second but it got just as bad as before. I had someone listen at it was definitely coming from the starter area.

I am only missing 1 transmission bolt and I just put a new one in but it was very hard to get it in. Its the bolt thats the second to the right of the starter. (Right under the oil feed for turbo) Using torque wrench I could only turn it with greater than 50ft/lbs of force but it was also less than 100.

My flywheel, which I think is oem but I have no idea if it was replaced at all, looked to be fine (through the inspection plate. I don't know exactly what a normal one would look like as far as the angle of the teeth. It looks kinda rusty. Definitely was rusty colored but it looked structurally sound.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: When I cranked in 5th gear the tire did move so the flywheel is moving when cranked. And I can turn the engine with the crank pulley just fine

My DSM:

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. 3kgt2nv

3kgt2nv Proven Member

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    poughkeepsie, New York
    with the missing flywheel bolt you most likely tweaked the alignment slightly by cranking it and thats why it was so hard to get in. Also did you use the correct flywheel bolt length?

as far as the second starter dying so fast was it brand new or a used piece?

3. BLOHS7844

BLOHS7844 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Not missing a flywheel bolt. its a transmission bolt and it was the right length.

Second starter didn't die at all.

My DSM:
  4. 3kgt2nv

3kgt2nv Proven Member

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    poughkeepsie, New York
    woops reading comprehension fail. LOL

with the second starter does it seem like its having a hard time turning the flywheel or is it just grinding like its not engaging properly. also make sure you attached the positive battery lead to the correct post and the ground wire is hooked up to the tranny bolt in the stock location.

5. BLOHS7844

BLOHS7844 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    No electrical problems at all. Just a huge grinding

My DSM:
  6. Jose303

Jose303 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 26, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    Did you ever fix this?
    Im having the same problem and need some help.

My DSM:
  7. northernawd

northernawd Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2012
    yellowknife, NT, YK, Canada
    which problem? the grinding or starters dying

8. Jose303

Joined Feb 26, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    Im having the grinding been researhing for days but no solutions.

My DSM:
  9. BLOHS7844

BLOHS7844 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    its been sitting for a while till I get more money LOL you are going to have to explain whats happening with your starter

My DSM:
  10. killercolt

killercolt Proven Member

Joined May 23, 2008
    Acworth, Georgia
    Check the followings if you have starter grind

Check Flywheel. Awd flywheel has a smaller ring gear diameter than fwd. if you have a Gst, you can accidently put in an Awd flywheel

Check to make sure start is tighten on the bell housing.

Make sure the tranny is flush against the block. Make sure the front lower bolt and rear lower bolts are tighten. At least one of the top bolt is on there.

Take the starter out and check it. Some aftermarket starter comes poorly assembled. Take the starter out and check the two skinny bolts that hold the started together.

11. Jose303

Joined Feb 26, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    I was getting a horrible grinding sound every time i cranked my car its an automatic 96 GST. The grinding started after i took the starter off to change my intake manifold gasket. When i put it back together i got this horrible grinding noise. The grinding got so bad that my buddie was standing outside and he saw sparks coming out from around the starter. After this i stopped cranking the car. My next step was to turn the engine over manually to see if i could hear any strange noise sure enough didnt hear anything. I decided to take the starter off and bench test it it seemed fine. I still bought a re-manufactured one because it seemed it was sticking a little. Tried it back on still grinding. Changed the terminals because they where a bit loose thought i wasnt getting enough power but didnt help. I inspected the flywheel no major damage just looks a little worn but from the grinding thats going on but like i said nothing too bad.

My DSM:
  12. Fast95GSX

Fast95GSX Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    jose303 did you figure this out?

13. turbotalon1g

turbotalon1g Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2005
    Blaine, Minnesota
    X2

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

11.333 @ 119.94 MPH
  14. fredyvalles1995

fredyvalles1995 Proven Member

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I had the same problem when I bought my 2g eclipse I had more problems than I think you do but make sure everything is there and thight.i pulled the transmission and found out I was missing the starter plate,two transmission bolts,and the two dowel pins.that solved my problem.

15. Changoloco402

Changoloco402 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 2, 2018
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Anybody ever figure it out I also have the same problem I've changed the starter as well ran good no noise for couple days then happened again not sure why. If it were to be the wrong starter plate wouldn't it have made the noise from the start?

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

20g   manual
  16. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You probably dont have the starter sitting square in the hole, its likely leaning to one side because its either stuck on the transmission shim or it got tightened down wrong somehow, unless you bought a new starter, in that case its likely the wrong starter.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual
    Changoloco402 likes this.
  17. Changoloco402

Changoloco402 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 2, 2018
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Gotcha alright I'll make sure its square on there when tightening the starter back on

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

20g   manual