The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stage 1 Upgrade parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_drake2

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2012
Baytown, Texas
Alright i'm kind of a newbie and i'm finally doing upgrades on my 95 Eclipse GS-T. It's been occasionally driven for about 2 years now but mostly sits in my garage since i was doing interior work. I bought the car from a guy in florida and had no idea what was done to the car except the "ricer" look which was put on pretty bad. I've already done my research for the most part and found some parts i plan on getting unless there are any better ideas. I also put the prices there of what i found.

Stage 1 Parts

1. Intake Pipe & Filter : Extreme PSI Intake Kit MEGS-T 95-99 (SKU: PSI-2GINTK-VIB-BK) #16345 $150

2. Aftermarket Boost Gauge: Owned

3. Blow Off Valve: Owned GReddy type RZ 40mm Diameter 100-400 HP Range

4. Boost Controller: Modern Automotive Performance Turbonetics Variable Boost Kit (Item#: 10402-10/25/50) 10,25,50 PSI $109.99

5. Cat-Back Exhaust System: HKS Carbon-TI Exhaust: MEGS-T 95-99 (SKU: HKS-3112-EX003) #17478 Piping: 60mm $719.95

6. High Flow Cat: Not Sure?

7. High Flow Downpipe: Mach V Motorsports A’pexi N1 Downpipe Piping Diamter: 60-80 $300

8. Exhaust Manifold: DN Performance T3 Exhaust Manifold ME 90-99 Turbo (SKU: DNP-23) #17978 $559.95
-Fits T3/T4 Turbo

9. O2 Sensor Housing: EVO III O2 Housing ME 90-99 #18209 (SKU: MIT-MR224847) $109.92

10. Fuel Pump: Mach V Motorsports Walbro 225 LPH High Flow Fuel Pump (#01948) $125

11. Intercooling Piping: Front Mount Intercooler Kit Instead?

12. Turbo Upgrade: T4 but not sure about brand?

Well I was calling it stage 1 just because that's what this site says it is and it gas a goal. I know not everyone follows it and there is no standard but I just want it to be right. And what's afpr?

Well I was calling it stage 1 just because that's what this site says it is and it gas a goal. I know not everyone follows it and there is no standard but I just want it to be right. And what's afpr?

:ohdamn: What research have you done on what you are planning to do to your car? Are you just going with what this site says is a stage 1 set up and piecing different parts together?

This I why I posted all this so I can learn more. I did follow the stage one list on here so it could get me started and it got me close. I know I have to do the engine internals first before any of these parts go on. The mechanic I've been asking told me those were the parts I needed also but he suggested that I get mainly HKS products. I know if I knew exactly what parts to get then I'd be able to do it easily. Plus I don't really know much about engines unless it's a Chevrolet or a truck. I can do interior work on this car and customize that really good.

Yeah after I asked I looked it up. But other than that is there any suggestions that I should do. Like is there "better" parts and what exactly engine internals are needed?

Don't go buying just any parts. Do tons and TONS of research. On the parts,on how certain parts work better with others. Read reviews,vendor reviews. Lots and lots of research. I've been building my dsm for almost 2 years just to get it to moderate power levels. around 300 hopefully. It's not much,but I've been doing tons of research,some parts I've bought more than once,other parts took me weeks to decide on whether or not I will buy. In the end you gotta think, "do I wanna spend a big amount of money to build something I won't be happy with or I will worry about? Or do I wanna spend the money and time to get things perfect the first time around?" Also remember,expensive doesn't always mean the best. Good luck

Thanks, you're the first to actually kinda help. I know what I want or plan to do with it and I know it takes time. Like I said before the mechanic I talk to knows his stuff and he's actually built cars like this and others up and he suggested that I get as many HKS parts because they work great with the eclipse and like you said they'll definitely work together. I know I don't want to spend a ton of money in this car or especially buy parts double because I've already had to do that. It adds up quick. My goal is to also get it to around 275-300 mark because I feel anything over that is overkill and not worth it unless I take it to the track regularly. Trust me I know expensive doesn't mean best.

Last edited:
Ok.. Few problems I've noticed so far. Your "mechanic" is recommending HKS parts? Not to bash HKS, but they are not really the best bang for your buck on the 4g63. Cams, hell yeah find some 272 or 280s and get those going, But for those you will need upgraded springs/ etc in the head.

For only 300hp, a manual boost controller would probably better suit your needs. Also, with that turbo and o2 housing combo will not work. For 300hp, look into a used evo 16g here in the classifieds. You also need something to tune with, most recommend ECMLink. Also a 190LPH fuel pump should get you to 300, no need for the 255.. You will also need larger fuel injectors. As for exhaust parts, personally, i would browse the classifieds...

To be brutally honest, it seems that you have NOT done your research when it comes to modifying DSMs. I say this because your parts list is missing pieces, or mentioning pieces that will NOT work together. If I were you, I would spend LOTS of time on the forums, looking, browsing, lurking, reading, and getting your current set up to RUN, clean and strong, in as close to stock form as possible..

I would not trust that "mechanic" friend of yours. Learn to do your own work on this vehicle. It will do WONDERS for your piece of mind...

I would like to try and get some parts wher if I wanted to get more than 300hp I could do that without replacing the part again. Trust me, I would enjoy working on the vehicle if I had the room, time or the tools to do It with. I've redone my whole interior and just knowing I did it felt great and I could brag. If I had an exact how-to on building the car up or had better guidelines than what this site says than I'd be more than harry to get the parts and do as much work as possible on it. Plus when I got this car none of the electrical worked (which I fixed), the turbo had an oil leak but was rerouted so the it was running all the time, the maintenance hadn't been done in at least a year on it, transmission was shot and the last owner basically drove it into the ground. But thanks for more info, I've been writing down basically everything so I know exactly what to search for. Oh and the mechanic guy is the only person in my area who knows half of what he's talking about. No other person knows anything about upgrades yet be willing to try working on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back