The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G ST Anti Sway Bar Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99OZDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Was going to pick up a set of RM Racing Sway Bars for my 2G GSX but they have been discontinued. So it seems that the ST Sway Bars are the only reputable option left because I'm not going to buy ebay ones.

I've been searching for more information on the performance of the ST Sway Bar but haven't found too much. I know the diameter is a bit smaller than the RM Sway Bars but maybe the shape of the bar makes up for it? I don't know.

Also read the front bar is adjustable but the rear bar is not. Has anyone messed with the adjustable front bar? I know the fitment for the rear bar usually interferes with most aftermarket exhausts, which is my main reason for not pulling the trigger so far.

My ST anti-roll bar is just fine & no problem with my 3" exhaust. The shape makes them mount the center portion offset several inches out from the mounting points on the rear cross member & the more you lower your ride the more it rotates closer to the ground. You will get the most ground clearance at stock ride height. Shape make no difference in operation. I run the OEM stock bar up front & only upgraded the rear. Anti-roll bars work in conjunction with your springs & kind of complement one another. You try to select springs & bars as a package that works together hence why I only did the rear.

Thanks for your response. I've been reading about handling dynamics and understand that the springs/sway bars change where weight will transfer, which contrasts with the shocks that determine when weight transfers. Therefore, stiffening the rear sway bar=oversteer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, my main concern is the bar clearing my exhaust, especially since you say the bar rotates lower as the car is lowered. I plan on getting Konis/GC or KWs eventually.

Right now, my muffler and/or exhaust hanger might be in the way. What do you think? Sorry for the bad angle in the picture.

Attachments

• 20161007_140310.jpg
    20161007_140310.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 228
I just bought the rear RM Racing sway bar last month. It is sold by Mach V. If you are worried about exhaust clearance the RM is the one to get.

My garage is on top of a hill & can get almost eye level with the floor giving me a pretty good view with out putting it the air. Ill take a picture tomorrow. It's dark out now so no good light. ST rear sway bar is the same for both FWD & AWD. Cars dropped about 1.5/2.0 inches for reference to ride height. Yes doing the rear only increase over steer. 2G's are bad front heavy & under steer a lot OEM wise. For me rear only made me less under steer moving closer to balanced. For DD duty a little under steer is a little less intense.

Edit: Nevermind my pic. ST will not fit the way your exhaust/muffler route. Didn't look at yours before replying, only read it.

Last edited:
I just bought the rear RM Racing sway bar last month. It is sold by Mach V. If you are worried about exhaust clearance the RM is the one to get.

I tried ordering the RM bars from MachV a couple weeks ago online but my order bounced back and said they are no longer available. I'll try to call them tomorrow.

Thanks for your help Mello. A picture would be awesome.

Just got off the phone with MachV. They only have the front bar in stock unfortunately. Also confirmed that the RM Bars are no longer being manufactured.

Guess I'm going to have to get an exhaust fabricated in order to fit the ST rear bar.

Are there any other reputable brands left that anyone knows of/recommends?

My ST anti-roll bar is just fine & no problem with my 3" exhaust. The shape makes them mount the center portion offset several inches out from the mounting points on the rear cross member & the more you lower your ride the more it rotates closer to the ground. You will get the most ground clearance at stock ride height. Shape make no difference in operation. I run the OEM stock bar up front & only upgraded the rear. Anti-roll bars work in conjunction with your springs & kind of complement one another. You try to select springs & bars as a package that works together hence why I only did the rear.

Can you post a good picture if your setup? I'm willing to change my exhaust around to run an ST bar if need be.

Sorry for the delay. Here's a few all taken with my car on the ground at static ride height. This is my GSX & the exhaust is stock. Cars lower about 1.5in.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry for the delay. Here's a few all taken with my car on the ground at static ride height. This is my GSX & the exhaust is stock. Cars lower about 1.5in.

Stock exhaust! Now I see how you got it to work. My apex catback is nearly 4 inches at that bend. No way it will work. However! I can do a muffler after the downpipe and a turndown. That will save weight too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back