The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

SRS Light on. replacing SRS ECU module

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse2630

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 8, 2011
Fort Stewart, Georgia
My 98 eclipse gst has the SRS light on and wont turn off.. after a lot of research i came to find out that it cant be done by tricking it anyway shape or form like those guys do on youtube to there mustangs and hondas. Would be nice but impossible with our cars unless you have a special tool obd2 that reads SRS codes.

From the cheapest to the most expensive i have found to have this SRS light wiped by a dealer, i found the cheapest to be $30 to the most expensive at $738.00 including labor!!!!

So after some more research i tried to think of other ways. Replacing the air bag sensors? According to the Haynes, Only the 95's have 2 air bag sensors. Every year on up, the sensor is within the Air Bag Module or air bag "ECU". I just ordered a OEM SRS Airbag "ecu" module. I'm hoping by replacing this will completely clear my SRS code and save me a ton of money. this ECU has identifying numbers on it MR243 890 on a yellow sticker. its a small metal box located under the arm rest.

When i receive this i will safely install it and possibly do a write up so people like me can save money. i paid 14 dollars for this module on ebay from a oem guy selling parts. I already know to disconnect BOTH battery terminals and let the car sit for about 10-30 minutes before disconnecting anything SRS related. Wish me luck i will post the results! If this thread was unnecessary let me know. But since all the threads i found about this similar thing were from like 2004-2006-2009 i figured i would have an updated one and see if anyone has done this recently successfully!

Wish me luck :hellyeah:

I would love to not have to go to a dealer to clear my SRS light. Local one quoted me $50. Keep us updated.

You can simply just unplug the SRS ecu under the center console armrest to rid this light, its a giant yellow plug

and you have done this first hand? I found that once that sensor is engaged in the ecu it locks and the light comes on and doesnt go off, the only way to get it off is by a dealer with a tool or just get a fresh SRS ECU..

its worth a try, but i think if it was that easy i would have found that issue cause im not the only one with this problem. we will see.

Just a tip but if your horn and other stearing wheel items are not workin and your air bag light is on. Chances are that u need to replace your clock spring.

my horn works. i thought that at first cause the horn didnt work but i could hear the relay clicking in the engine bay and i tested the wires where the horn plugs. Horn was just bad. went to a junk yard and couldnt find any on any dsms.. just a tip for yall if you didnt know.. older dodge neons have the same horn and will plug right up. :thumb:

as for unplugging it wont cut it in my situation. i have to have my car inspected and part of the inspection is that my SRS light cycles on and then off when ignition is turned on.

like i said my horn works now and so does all my switches and stuff in the steering wheel area. ill have an update i guess when i get this new SRS ecu

Last edited:
So after a few short days i received my new SRS ECU! Disconnected the Batteries, waited about 20 minutes. Unplugged my old SRS ECU, with a 10mm socket undid the 4 nuts. pulled it off. bolted the new one down, plugged it in. Reconnected my batteries. turned on my ignition....7 seconds later BOOM NO MORE SRS LIGHT!! :hellyeah: :rocks: :hellyeah: :applause: :dsm:

again i only paid 14 dollars for this new unit on ebay! some of you may ask why is he so worried about the srs light why dont he just unplug the ecu like one guy did here on my thread or just remove the bulb.. well i actually NEEDED to fix the issue. my car has a salvaged title. i dont know how bad the car was wreck in the past but who ever fixed it put it back together in pristine condition but didn't bother to re do the SRS ECU. In order for me to get a new title for my car is to have a rebuilt title inspection. One of the automatic fail checks is that your SRS light cycles on with ignition and then cycles off! that SRS light was the only issue holding me back from registering my car!! :thumb:

now i cant promise you that this will fix the problem with you guys who took out your airbags and reinstalled them or removed your dash etc etc.. but it doesnt hurt to try what i just did for only 14 dollars! compared to the amounts i listed above. you may even find one cheaper at a junk yard. but keep in mind why those cars are potentially IN THE JUNK YARD! It makes sense that this will fix your problem for you all who have SRS light issues with no accidents at all. Its definitely worth a try!! :thumb:

Really appreciate this info, going to look into the SRS unit now :)

Really appreciate this info, going to look into the SRS unit now :)

here is one for 14.99 on ebay

96-99 Eclipse Spyder Air Bag Airbag Computer ECU 97 98 | eBay

this ad has a or best offer link too. the one i bought, the guy originally posted it for 18 bucks. LOL i offered 10, he met me half way with 14.. still cheaper than the stealerships 600+

any style eclipse rs gs gst gsx SRS unit will work 96 and up! 95 is the only 2 g with a different SRS ecu. the 95s also had the actual sensor in the bumper. 96 and up have the "g-sensor" in the ECU itself

Bought one for $19 shipped, I'll post up results if it works :) This light has been bugging me for over a year, LOL.

It works!!!! I can't tell you how excited I was to see that SRS light go off! :D

RIGHT ON!!! :hellyeah: :dsm: :rocks:

there you have it! i have seen sooo many post about the SRS LIGHT and people talking about going to a dealer and paying soo much money. Me and Jax both paid less than 20 dollars and got rid of that stupid light!

Wonder if there's a way to pull codes using a smart phone, or clear it without a scanner. I found this:
Android SRS-Airbag Code Encyclopedia App for Samsung, HTC, Motorola | XYO

Anyone know if some app like that will tell you what you need to do to fix it? I might just buy one of those ECU's on ebay to fix mine too. But I'd like to know for sure that it will actually fix it. I bought the car with the light on, just figured the guy before me screwed something up when he was trying to wire in the turbo timer.

Wonder if there's a way to pull codes using a smart phone, or clear it without a scanner. I found this:

Anyone know if some app like that will tell you what you need to do to fix it? I might just buy one of those ECU's on ebay to fix mine too. But I'd like to know for sure that it will actually fix it. I bought the car with the light on, just figured the guy before me screwed something up when he was trying to wire in the turbo timer.

you have a 1g tho right?

You can use the Torque application to check and clear codes as well as do some other logging and whatnot, but it requires a Bluetooth ODB2 adapter and the app can only be used with OBD2.

Ok guys I'll update this for future searchers.

I went to the yard found a 97 turbo car no body damage or air bags deployed. Took the SRS ECU and I installed it on my car.

SRS light is gone. Bump and thank you for making this post.

Replace the SRS ecu and light should be gone.

Top is new SRS ECU and ugly nasty one is old SRS ECU.

Attachments

• blaaaa.jpg
    blaaaa.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,018
  • blaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    blaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,172
Awesome that is exactly what I was looking for I replaced the bags and still had the light and didn't know why, I'll try simply unplugging the one in there now, but I'll likely have to take the one from my donor car as well. Got plenty of parts out of that baby LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back