The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

squealing noise in reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexydingo

Probationary Member
Mar 10, 2004
Canton, Ohio
whenever i start backing up my car makes a sqealing/whining noise that seems to be coming from either the suspension or the brakes but i could be wrong. it's very annoying though. any thoughts? brakes and rotors are getting replaced as soon as the parts get here in like a week. i have tokico 5-ways and sprint springs.

Every once in a while (usually under a drastic weather change) my brakes will drag while backing up.

Does it feel like the car is hesitant to move, or just making noise?

Also if this is your first manual car the reverse gear has straight cut teeth. This causes the car to "whine" when going in reverse. It should NOT sound like squeeling brakes or make any clunking sound. It should just be a whine that increases with pitch as you speed up.

All manual DSMs do this a bit...some more than others.

Check your tranny fluid!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back