The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

spyder or coupe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2004
northern, New_Jersey
hey, wat do u guys like better? the spyder or the coupe/hatchback version on the 2g eclipse? and y :confused: im in line 4 a new car n i was jus wonderin wat u guys would pic

Personally I like the look of the coupe, but it's really a matter of opinion. The convertable is heavier though.

i HEARD the spyder is only 80lbs heavier, because they had the convertible in mind while engineering the car, thus the only difference is the weight difference of the convertible mechanism over the hard top.

id rather have a hardtop, but around here GS's with 150K on them were going for 11G's, i found a GST spyder for 7500 2 hours away so i had to. im happy when the top is down, but it sucks when its up, it has huge ass blind spots and just kinda isnt cool with the top up. but in cali ill use it down more than up so its all good :thumb:

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the extra weight in the convertable comes from extra frame and such too. At least thats usually how it is in other convertable cars.

Very few affordable cars are as good-looking as the 2G DSM coupe (unless you're the sort who can't stomach soapbar-cars), but nothing beats a drive on a hot night with the top down and a nicely-jugged bimbo ballasting the passenger side with the top down. It's even better if it's a convertible.

Only drawback is that you're facing lots of work (or, luck) to get an AWD convertible.

And, coupe tops don't get slashed by thieves and vandals.

I had a 95 RS, but it died and I got a 96 Spyder. What Thomas91169 said about blind spots is true, but I couldn't imagine not having a convertible now. The top down, for me, is worth the extra weight/loss of 2 drive wheels/risk of vandalism etc. Also it stinks that NHRA says to go under 14 sec requires a roll bar, but it is a safety thing and one I will address in due time (as long as I can take the bar back out when not at the track!) :cool:
It just depends on what your plans are for the car.

the blind spot is HUGH for a spyder. It can be fixed with those $3 circular thing you stick on the side view mirriors from Wal-Mart. If i remember correctly the Spyder come in at 3,053 lbs and Hardtops weight 2,970, the difference is 83 lbs.

The way i look at is it i bought my spyder for speed and looks here in SoCAL. If you plan on going anything bigger than a 16G in a droptop and you are gonna race alot, dont bother ruining the sleek look of one w/ a 4-point roll bar.

I think the rollbars in convertibles look nice. I have no problems getting one.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

why would that silver eclipse right there need one,.... i know dame well its not doin 13's,...
they coulda painted the handle to try to look fast, LOL

i own a spyder

they have HORRIBLE problems with leaky weatherstripping around the top, and there is a big big problem with the aluminum bars that pull the roof up and down.. they snap in half... i still have yet to replace mine cause mitsu oem parts cost to much.

check out the consumer complaints on spyders... i forget where the site is otherwise i would link you to it..

and actually in reality, if you look at the OEM specs of the spyder vs the GSX, the GSX weighs more then the spyder does due to it's AWD drivetrain

stock - weight

1g GST 2745 -2791
1g GSX 3073 - 3108
2g GST 2921 / 2998
2g Spyder GST 3053 / 3142
2g GSX 3157 / 3234
galant vr4 3295

I have had my Spyder for 18 months, and love it to death! :shhh: I could never imagine myself in a coupe again, unless I was forced into buying one (a car without a Drop Top counterpart). Every car has its problems, dsm's especially being so f*@%ing tempermental, but having the top down whenever , you can not describe it. :D Plus all the ladies love drop tops, another added bonus! :thumb: Also, if a thief wanted to break into your car they are going to do it no matter what. I would rather have those blind spots on my car, then anything, I just dealt with it, plus I do not need to worry about those blind spots, since I usually keep away from most cars, 80 mph always does the trick ;) . Nature must take its course, there is nothing you can do about it, tops need replacement just like most everything else on this earth. If you want my opinion, spend a few extra bucks in the beginning is well worth it, and way better in the long run!

yea nothing beats driving with the top down in a modded spyder

definately a head turner..

all i was trying to say is the car has got flaws but most dsms do... i used to drive with the top down all the time til my car crankwalked and died on me.. oh well.. 7 bolt NO more.. 6 bolt on the way :thumb:

Ilove my spyder!! Ican live with the leaks and everything else... i just love having the top down!! Even here,in Boston I still find times to drop the top whether it is hot or cold... the other day it was 28 degrees and i was hummin up the highway! its a great feeling!! plus the blind stop can be bad at times i guess... but u get used to it! the blind spots are different in almost every car... what makes a spyder any different! Spyders rule! if my car were to die today... i would be be buyin another one... a 2nd gen Spyder!! only this time it would be a GST HAHA, My GS is good for now tho! :laugh: ;) :cool:

Defiant said:
nothing beats a drive on a hot night with the top down and a nicely-jugged bimbo ballasting the passenger side with .

i couldnt have said better my self,nothing beats a droptop $hit when my top is down when its nice iv realized that just a cruz to the gas station jets girls trying to pick me up!!!! :laugh: hell even one time on a warm summer night i was stoped at a light with my top down and the next thing i realize their was a girl that jumped my door and didnt want to leave well except with me

skye said:
i own a spyder

they have HORRIBLE problems with leaky weatherstripping around the top, and there is a big big problem with the aluminum bars that pull the roof up and down.. they snap in half... i still have yet to replace mine cause mitsu oem parts cost to much.

I second this... however, if you have some patience when you're dropping the top, you can push the required bars out of the way (mine was bent to hell, so I just snapped it, and pushed the crossbar out of the way when it was opening up, when you close it, the top stretches and you're all set)

They can be a pain, but if you happen across one cheap in the sac valley, let me know, I've already got my GSX parts sitting at home (so they're still in the car) waiting for a spyder to be transferred into.

Best feeling in the world, cruising back from the beach w/ your g/f beside you in her bikini top drying out and getting some sun. :thumb: Yeah, the leaks suck, and yeah you can't see crap out of them, but they're great to be seen in and even stock they can turn heads! Still, wish mine was faster.... Eh, what the heck. Its sunny outside...I'll see you punks later!

Spyder of course, but who wants an eclipse spyder when you can have a talon spyder. What just me? oh well, i tried.

Im a hard core proponent of the convertible, while slower and heavier, it makes up in the areas due to the fact its so easy to get girls in it. They just hop right in! (unles syou paid as much for your interior as you did me then you slap-a-hoe)

iiiwildfireiii said:
Best feeling in the world, cruising back from the beach w/ your g/f beside you in her bikini top drying out and getting some sun.

HAHAHA I didn't know there were beaches in tennesse. :laugh: but yah i see your point

khsdm said:
iiiwildfireiii said:
Best feeling in the world, cruising back from the beach w/ your g/f beside you in her bikini top drying out and getting some sun.

HAHAHA I didn't know there were beaches in tennesse. :laugh: but yah i see your point

What? I'm not allowed to move and bring my car with me? :p And I'll have you know that the beaches in Tennessee are some of the best in the world. They're just really really exclusive. ;) The ones @ panama city beach aren't bad either tho.

FireyIce01 said:
I second this... however, if you have some patience when you're dropping the top, you can push the required bars out of the way (mine was bent to hell, so I just snapped it, and pushed the crossbar out of the way when it was opening up, when you close it, the top stretches and you're all set)
Bent top arms can be a pain to repair but are easy to avoid:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77418

I bought my Spyder with broken top arms. New arms are available from the dealer as part of the hinge assembly but are insanely expensive. Get them from a junk yard like I did. Bent arms can be straightened if heated with a torch. The good news is the 3g spyders have the same top and mechanism as the 2g Spyders so that increases your options when looking for parts.

I wouldn't trade my Spyder for an AWD coupe. I got the car because it's great to drive, highly modifiable and I love the style. Top down drives on warm desert nights or cruising the Vegas Strip with the g/f can't be equaled. :thumb:

I personally don't like convertibles, they just don't look as smooth as a coupe. I get plenty of sun and air from my sunroof. I think of convertibles as a car you get when you retire, but thats just me. :)

Daily a stock '99 spyder gs with dc sports muffler (the only nonstock part). The moment I get the roof down I forget about everything - fwd, sohc, leaks, weight...Just to hear the exhaust notes and have air blowing into your face enough to justify having one. Also, if you get gs with 4g64, you can get a very good engine build that is quite unique among eclipses.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back