The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Split Trans from Motor or pull as one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris89020

Probationary Member
Sep 8, 2014
Amargosa Valley, Nevada
So i have a 93 talon TSI FWD. Im taking the engine out to do some work on it and im just wondering if i gotta drop the transmission out with it too or if i can just split it apart and take it out. Im trying to split it apart but it doesnt want to budgle all that much i have all the bolts off the bell housing. Can someone link me maybe a Manual of some sort that will give me step step to taking it out?

It should come out you probably are pulling it apart at an angle it has to be pulled straight

It should come out you probably are pulling it apart at an angle it has to be pulled straight
Hmmm maybe me and my friend have been trying for about an hour at all different heights ha Do you think its cause of the space? I didnt take all of the pulleys off

I always pull tranny with motor. I just think it's easier it's only a couple mounts and its out. Imo

Yes pull tranny with motor way easier that way ive spent as more time trying to pull just the trans vs both it seems everything will be in your way but when i pull them together i just take crank and waterpump pully off then it should come out pretty easy i also unbolt the front and rear brackets at the block so they dont get hung up

When removing the trans and motor as one to make it easier on yourself remove the hood for more clearance have the car jacked up on stands in front so you will have the ability to move it the bay easier for removal (reasoning more clearance on bottom end) also drain fluids makes it a little cleaner

I agree with these guys. Pull both together and it will be easier in the long run. IMO the main downside to pulling the trans is dealing with the axels. I've had both good and bad experiences. A couple things to note is sometimes the passenger side can be a huge pain to pop out and you should make sure your axels are not seized inside the hubs. Also, if you're using standard 1 ton engine host then don't jack up the front of the car too high. The engine hoist will only jack up so high and if your pulling both motor and trans together then it's gonna have be jacked up close to the max. An engine leveler would help as well. Good luck

Pull both up and out then u can grease/check stuff in the bell housing and if u do that I'd do a rear main seal as well much more room out the car then in

I've pulled them both way, just within the last few months I've had to pull my transmission twice, I did it leaving the motor in and it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't pull them as a pair unless I was planning on doing some motor work while the engine was out. It's a lot more work for no reason IMO

With the axles drain tyranny oil it will relieve the pressure on the splined shafts also I have used tierods/ball joint separater with great outcomes each time, use the fork end slid it between trans and the hub of the shift, apply a little pressure and should pop right out (key is draining trans and opening fill bolt)

You have a engine puller I'm assuming but where are you planing to set the whole unit down as one cause most engine stands need trans separated from motor and secondly you never really wanna set a motor down on its oil pan with out something cushioning it or stabilizing the entire unit just some thoughts good luck

As stated above, wiggle some bell housing bolts back in. Remove axles, all mounts, and pull the engine and transmission. Detail the engine bay, clean the trans. Again, lining the trans input shaft into the clutch disc hub is a lot easier while both are outside of the engine bay.

ive done both and prefer to do them together, it doesnt really take any longer, its more work to do them together but its easy
if you wiggle it out just right, at the perfect angle, you can leave the alternator and ac stuff on, i always remove the power steering pump, rather than drain the lines

obviously you wouldnt leave the ac stuff on, dont know why i said that

yeah! ive always left it on if it was working, course thats not usually a problem with my junk. 35 pound weight reduction, that sounds right, but i hope your joking about +25 hp! the extra belt and idler pulley doesnt draw much maybe 1 hp at most. even when its running the ecu shuts it down when the engine is under high load

it depends on your skill level and if you are doing it in a equipped shop. i have done it both ways. i would just pull the trans unless you have another reason for pulling the engine. after you do it a few times ,the trans on an awd turbo car can be out in an hour. add 20 minutes to that if you are taking the engine with it. i say why bother draining coolant and disconnecting wiring and hoses etc if you dont have to. different strokes for different folks. if the trans wont seperate easily ,it is likely you missed a
a bollt or you are caught on a mount. either way ,if it is difficult to get out ,it will be way more difficult to get back in if you did nt forget anything. just keep removing parts until it slides out easily, or dtop the whole shebang and learn what is best for you. good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back