The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

speedometer off by 10mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beihl304

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2008
mcmechen, West_Virginia
well ever since i bought the car about a year and a half ago my speedometer has been always reading 10mph faster than what im doing. I have got use to it but recently i have purchased ecmlink and the speed on ecmlink is right? so is it at all possible my speedometer needle could be off? and is it adjustable. ?

Go on a highway that has mileage markers on it and when you pass a mileage marker, reset the trip odom to zero. If you hit a mile on the next mileage marker, you know your speedo is okey and that dsmlink is having issues.

As mentioned above, if you have oversize or undersized diameter tires on, that could also be a factor as well since the speedo gear in the tranny is geared to a certain tire diameter.

Also, 2g's use a speedo sensor for the speedometer and it could be getting flaky on you - if the other tests work out.

well ever since i bought the car about a year and a half ago my speedometer has been always reading 10mph faster than what im doing. I have got use to it but recently i have purchased ecmlink and the speed on ecmlink is right? so is it at all possible my speedometer needle could be off? and is it adjustable. ?

I know the 1g needle can be twisted. When your car is stopped, what does the Speedo read for speed?

Hey me to. When I go 70 on the freeway I see people pass me like crazy, even old ladies. This happened to me when I switched to the 99 white cluster. I'm starting to think it's a faulty gauge also.

I don't think it's his tires. I've changed countless tire sizes on previous cars with out this effect. It is being measured by engine rev and transmission. It doesn't calculate tire rotation. I'm leading to a faulty gauge or something with the speed sensor.
This happen to me when I changed cluster. Most likely I can concluded my own problem to be my faulty 99 cluster.

If his tires were too small ECMlink would be off as well since it uses the same calculations that the cluster uses.

Has your cluster ever been apart? When people change from stock color bulbs to color LED's in the cluster they usually don't put the needle back on right when they sand the orange off the back of the cluster. PM me if you want to know how to set your needle back where it should be.

Also is it consistently off 10mph at every speed? If it is then your needle is the problem, not your speed sensor.

You can "calibrate" your speedometer by taking off the clear plastic cover from your gauge cluster. You have to remove the gauge cluster from the dash first. The clear cover is held onto the cluster by tabs and you can remove the needle by using a fork. Put the cluster back on without the clear cover and drive at a certain speed. Cruise control would be great if you have it. I used my GPS to see how fast I was going and then simply place the needle at the speed you're going.

You can "calibrate" your speedometer by taking off the clear plastic cover from your gauge cluster. You have to remove the gauge cluster from the dash first. The clear cover is held onto the cluster by tabs and you can remove the needle by using a fork. Put the cluster back on without the clear cover and drive at a certain speed. Cruise control would be great if you have it. I used my GPS to see how fast I was going and then simply place the needle at the speed you're going.

This is what I was going to suggest, just to lazy to type it all out. ROFL

pass a highway patrol officer going 95 and ask him what he got on his radar.. you'll know then ;)

Uh..... 95?

40 over is stick it to the wood. I don't want to be around when someone get's pulled over for that again.

I had an old Subi wagon that was 12 mph off. It was the needle for sure, for I used my mileage marker trick and a stop watch to see where I was at.

I put the needle at 60mph (mile a minute to make it easy) and hit a marker. Reset the trip odo to zero plus started the stop watch at that instant.

When I hit the next mile marker, I was dead on on the trip odo, but my time was .89

I was wondering why state police would look at me funny when I was doing the speed limit to my gauge. I was 12mph over the limit, but never got stopped.

After figuring that all out, I pulled the cluster and moved the needle up 12mph and I then was right on with both the odo and the time between mile markers.

What prob happens is that with the needle assembly being plastic, got a bit soft due to the heat from sitting outside in the hot sun. And getting soft, the assembly will slide a bit on the end of the odo gear mechanism shaft. The needle hitting the stop eventually moves a bit on the shaft.

well seeing some of the replies i should have gave more details. i know its not my tires. when i pass a construction zone, no matter the speed it is 10mph off. even in town they have a stupid radar thing that the police own on the side of the road and it says your speed (when you go to fast it flashes red and blue LOL) and its consistantly 10 off to. i was unaware whether i could adjust the needle. also the lights are stock and not leds. i know how to get the cover off but anyone have any advise how to change the needle position? i believe its at zero when im stopped but i may be wrong ill have to wait till tomorrow to check that. thanks for the replies

opps. i didnt see that, ill give it a try thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back