The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Speed Density conversion 16g Before and After (pump gas)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychos1s

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 3, 2009
Albany, Oregon
I went to English Racing yesterday to get my stock air meter removed with the Speed Density conversion. I figured I would share the results for those that are considering it or wanted more proof of the 2g MAF limitations. All my results are on pump gas. Until my car retires from daily driver status, I want to continue to run on 92 octane.

Before the SD I was consistently putting down high 330’s (339whp, 337…) at 26psi. 339whp being my top mark. For everyday use the boost was turned down to 24psi and was running in the 320’s (326whp if I remember correctly).

After the SD conversion with a custom intake I was putting down consistent high 340’s to low 350’s at 26psi. I was hoping for 350 and got right there. My final output was 354whp while my torque stayed basically the same at 336-337 lb-ft. (At 24psi I’m at my old number 338whp)

So an increase of 15whp uncorrected (354whp vs 339whp). It’s actually at 19whp corrected (352whp vs 333whp). Not too shabby…

The mods:
  • Stock 6 bolt (2g head), 3g lifters, ARP headstuds
  • Stock intake & exhaust manifolds
  • ECMLink v3
  • Walbro 255 fuel pump
  • Evo Injectors (560’s)
  • Apexi GT downpipe & N1 exhaust
  • Evo III 16g
  • FP2 cams
  • ETS 10.5” Racing Intercooler
  • Greddy Type RS BOV, AEM TrueBoost Boost Controller

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The dyno sheet shows the best of both runs before and after the SD conversion

Niiiice numbers!!! :thumb: I love the power curve also. Looking nice at 300 hp at 3.5K rpm's.

Your mod list also assures me that buying Evo injectors was not a bad idea at all. :hellyeah:

Do you know what your IDC's were on your pulls?

Question... Did English Racing tune the car while it was on the maf? Just wondering if the same person tuned it both times.

Niiiice numbers!!! :thumb: I love the power curve also. Looking nice at 300 hp at 3.5K rpm's.

Your mod list also assures me that buying Evo injectors was not a bad idea at all. :hellyeah:

Do you know what your IDC's were on your pulls?

I don't know what the IDC's were. I'll see if I can get those though...

Question... Did English Racing tune the car while it was on the maf? Just wondering if the same person tuned it both times.

Yes, it was done by the same individual on the same dyno. Lucas over at English Racing does the tuning. Everything performance wise on my car has been done at ER. I bought the car completely stock.

I don't know what the IDC's were. I'll see if I can get those though...

Yes, it was done by the same individual on the same dyno. Lucas over at English Racing does the tuning. Everything performance wise on my car has been done at ER. I bought the car completely stock.
Alright cool. I'll soon be getting my car dyno tuned at Topspeed outside of Atlanta so I'll have to keep this information in mind. The guys at ER are great, especially that Bush character. :cool:

Nice numbers! Have almost the same mods but the cams n Link, was also thinking of goin with bigger injectors but it seems I won't need to to reach my goals.

Thanks for coming up Paul.

We are at about the end of the line on the injectors 90% at 6600rpm. AF are in the low 11s though so there is a little room.

On the same boost spike he car held 1-2 psi more out the top with only the SD change.

I have always seen the 2g maf to be more restrictive then you would think but I have always been in denial about it. This test really proves it. Like in 2003 I went from a hacked 1g maf to a 2g and lost 2 tents in the 1/4.

Wow, that's pretty good! Do you have E85 over there? I'm sure you can break 400 with that and some bigger injectors.

We do have some E85 locations in Oregon but none of them are very close to my area. The closest station is 30-40 minutes away.

Since its my daily driver I really don't want to stray away from pump gas. I also want to keep playing with it and see how high I can get with just 92 octane. (bigger turbo eventually in the works of course). My goal is to hit 420-450whp on pump gas.

Once it's not my daily driver I'll definitely be going for high hp and some E85 goodness.

Those were some pretty good gains for going to SD. Congrats on the dyno numbers. I'd like to see the duty cycles too. Got the log?

I'm surprised it made that big of a difference, I would have expected less than 10hp.
Good numbers for a 16g on pump:thumb:

That is pretty crazy. I would have expected around 5hp at most. Too bad your e85 is so far, my car loves it so much. I wish I would have made it to a dynojet so I could have broke that 400whp mark on stock cams and a 16g.

What detail can ou give about this, "After the SD conversion with a custom intake "? I am curious if the gain was a factor of both going SD and freeing up intake restriction.

What detail can ou give about this, "After the SD conversion with a custom intake "? I am curious if the gain was a factor of both going SD and freeing up intake restriction.

They just replaced my Injen style intake pipe with a 3" custom made pipe. I found a 3" pipe online and photoshopped it to give you a visual.

Before:

After:

Makes me want to go SD even more!!!!!!! I may have to do this as im building my car upon return to the states.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back