The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Spec me a 10s setup!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_korn_99

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2004
Bentonville, Arkansas
I'm probably the oldest newbie on the forum. Just recently got back into it with a 1g car that I intend to use as a track only car.
That said, I intend to gut the car and get the weight down some.

Here's the specs currently:

92 AWD Auto - 6/4 combo with LSD
6 Bolt engine
9:1 Wiseco pistons
Stock rods
Stock cranks
ARP studs
Cometic HG
ACL rods and mains
Head has +1mm valves, supertech hardened guides

Currently has a big16G on some sort of tubular manifold. Stock boost levels, stock fuel system, no tuning.

So it's a pretty clean slate to work with. I'm ready to start ordering parts and get this build moving, but everytime I search I see different setups.
I just want one that's proven to work and has potential to GROW.

Once the turbo is spec'd/ordered, I'll send the torque converter off to be restalled to whatever RPM will work with the turbo.

I'm looking for someone to spec out the following for me that's proven:

- Turbo/manifold
- Cams
- Intake manifold
- FMIC
- Fuel System (needs to be for E85)
- Tuning software
- Torque Converter
- Anything else i'm missing

Attaching a couple pics so you guys can see what I'm working with:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are you wanting to run a Mitsu flange turbo?What is your budget for all of this? Do you have the basic maintenance done IE BELTS, fluids etc. I would also suggest a set of forged rods, I know may have pushed stock blocks deep into the 10's but its cheap insurance.

Cams 272's profile HKS, Regrinds of HKS, Kelford ETC

FMIC extreme turbo systems or get a core and make your kit

Tuning ECM link will do what you need.

Turbo if you want a Mistu flange FP has many options.

Fuel will depend on turbo setup.

Converter if IPT still does them I would suggest using them, call and discuss your setup they can help you further.

I'm open to ANY turbocharger on the market that will meet my goals. Does not need to be Mitsu flange, and I can purchase whatever turbo manifold is required for the spec'd turbo.

Ok, I know the 272 cams are popular, but I see a lot of options beyond those as well. If they'll meet my goal, I'm fine with that.

And yeah, it kinda seems like everything will be based off of which turbo I go with (fuel system, converter...ect).
I do know that I will be running E85, as it is plentiful around here. I also plan to dump the exhaust right out the fender for the least amount of back pressure.

As for budget, I don't have a specific dollar number in mind. Just whatever it takes to get this thing into the 10s. I'd like to have room to grow beyond that with whatever setup I go with.

I should also mention that the engine build is pretty fresh (less than 6months ago) so no concerns with maintenance stuff.

272's have propelled many cars into the 10's. I would look at the FP series of turbos, they are on sale right now as well. The Black or Red would do what you want, and you can use your manifold and down pipe since they are mitsu flanged.

The pricing on the FP Black looks pretty good. Do you feel that an internally gated turbo would meet my needs?

If external is better and recommended, then I'd probably look at going with a T3 setup and external gate as I believe they flow more compared to the mitsu turbos?

You should have no problem with the internal gate. I have a friend with a full weight 2G awd auto car that runs 11.2 with his car pretty consistenly with an FP Red internal gate the car is a "budget setup." So a well thought out build with a black would fit your needs just fine.

I'll post what I ran 10's with this year on a stock block with 93 pump gas
- Turbo/manifold: Borg Warner S256 T4 Divided 1.22 Housing and top mount manifold from STM. May be a little laggy for a street car but it did exactly what I wanted and really pulled up top, kept making power all the way to my low 7500 redline. Having this setup will allow you to go a bigger turbo and not need to change everything again. I just switched to a 66mm and just had to change the turbo out and make a new intake, nothing else with the turbo kit.
- Cams:Kelford 272's, you're going to want at least EVO beehive springs in there too with the Kelford being a pretty high lift compared to other 272's
- Intake manifold: Magnus V2
- FMIC: I used the VRSF, nice and cheap and didn't heat soak
- Fuel System (needs to be for E85): Get a Walbro 450, they're like $100 and drop intank. Not sure on injectors, don't run ethanol.
- Tuning software: Definitely ECMLink
- Torque Converter: No clue
- Anything else i'm missing- A good set of tires (not radials) I ran Hoosier QTP's. Also if you plan on running at the track a lot and running 10's you're going to need some safety stuff depending on how strict your track is. I need to put a cage in, fire jacket, helmet, etc. Something to consider.

I'll post what I ran 10's with this year on a stock block with 93 pump gas
- Turbo/manifold: Borg Warner S256 T4 Divided 1.22 Housing and top mount manifold from STM. May be a little laggy for a street car but it did exactly what I wanted and really pulled up top, kept making power all the way to my low 7500 redline. Having this setup will allow you to go a bigger turbo and not need to change everything again. I just switched to a 66mm and just had to change the turbo out and make a new intake, nothing else with the turbo kit.
- Cams:Kelford 272's, you're going to want at least EVO beehive springs in there too with the Kelford being a pretty high lift compared to other 272's
- Intake manifold: Magnus V2
- FMIC: I used the VRSF, nice and cheap and didn't heat soak
- Fuel System (needs to be for E85): Get a Walbro 450, they're like $100 and drop intank. Not sure on injectors, don't run ethanol.
- Tuning software: Definitely ECMLink
- Torque Converter: No clue
- Anything else i'm missing- A good set of tires (not radials) I ran Hoosier QTP's. Also if you plan on running at the track a lot and running 10's you're going to need some safety stuff depending on how strict your track is. I need to put a cage in, fire jacket, helmet, etc. Something to consider.

Thanks a ton for sharing your setup! Sounds like exactly what I'm wanting to do. I'll look into the BW/STM setup.

I do realize that I will need all the standard safety equipment. Car is getting caged soon.

Good info the intercooler. I run a VRSF on my 335i and I've had no issues at all with it.

I'm curious what your trap speeds were when you went 10's. Mind sharing that?

Thanks a ton for sharing your setup! Sounds like exactly what I'm wanting to do. I'll look into the BW/STM setup.

I do realize that I will need all the standard safety equipment. Car is getting caged soon.

Good info the intercooler. I run a VRSF on my 335i and I've had no issues at all with it.

I'm curious what your trap speeds were when you went 10's. Mind sharing that?

10.88@133 so it will be getting a 10pt cage with the trap speed approaching 135

I'm curious what kind of HP level I should be shooting for to hit my goals?
Let's say I wanted ~130mph trap speed.

These cars are around 2900 stipped down or so?

I'm curious what kind of HP level I should be shooting for to hit my goals?
Let's say I wanted ~130mph trap speed.

These cars are around 2900 stipped down or so?

Not the best way to judge trap speed, too many factors. Probably around 400 through an auto. I made 440@26psi through a 5spd.

2900 or so is fairly easy but then you're adding the cage weight on top of that. Removing a bunch of the stuff you don't need is the easiest/cheapest way to do it. Depends if you want to keep it any bit of a street car or not.

Ok. Just curious.

So if I shoot for 500whp, I should be good to go to get down in the 10s.

I think I have a line on a complete package setup. I'll know in just a bit. Made 490whp on a 1g manual trans car at 30psi on e85.
He said he was running like 11.8s with it at ~120mph so wasn't sure where i should be looking power wise

Ok. Just curious.

So if I shoot for 500whp, I should be good to go to get down in the 10s.

I think I have a line on a complete package setup. I'll know in just a bit. Made 490whp on a 1g manual trans car at 30psi on e85.
He said he was running like 11.8s with it at ~120mph so wasn't sure where i should be looking power wise

Yes 500 through an auto should certainly put you in the 10's. Some people don't know how to drive or how to set the car up right for the track and run a lot slower than what the car is actually capable of.

Ok, ended up buying that complete package deal that someone was getting rid of. This is what it consist of:

Hx35 w/ a hx40 billet extended tip wheel less than 7k miles
Schedule 10 stainless steel manifold.
100% back purged less thab 7k miles
Downpipe 2.5" Vband in 3" vband out. Less than 7k miles
Turbosmart compgate40 wastegate W/ hood exit dump. Less than 7k miles
Feed and return included!
Intercooler:
CoreVrspeed
Licp 3" stainless
Uicp 3" stainless
Turbosmart raceport bov really good shape
Boost controller really good shape
Air intake tube and filter

Seemed like a good deal that all fit together and knocks a bunch of stuff off of my to-do list. What do you guys think?

Here are some pics from the listing:

Next up, fuel system.

Since I'm going to be running E85, here's what I have in mind, feel free to comment or adjust my selections:

Walbro 450 in-tank pump
FIC 1800 injectors
MAP FPR setup with AEM 25-302bk <---- will this flow enough?

Anything else i'm missing?

Wow it looks like you really snagged some good parts! Definitely on the way with fuel and camshafts.

Looks like you have a twin-scroll turbine housing on a single-scroll manifold judging by the shape of the collector and single wastegate flange.

I'd look into losing that turbine housing in favor of a single-scroll housing as you're not going to benefit from the twin-scroll housing when it's mounted to a single-scroll manifold anyway...and having a giant divider running straight through the center of the volute isn't going to help flow very much- especially when you already have a turbine wheel which is undersized to be driving a billet extended-tip HX40 compressor wheel. Whoever put that setup together must not have given much though to turbine flow or had already been tapped-out budget-wise and chose against upgrading the turbine wheel and/or housing to match the billet compressor and nice manifold they had.

All you need is a FP Red/Black... Any gate configuration will work, Evo 3 or 2G ported stock exhaust manifold will work also just fine, I ran 10.50 @ 126 on my auto setup with a red internally gated on my old car.

Looks like you have a twin-scroll turbine housing on a single-scroll manifold judging by the shape of the collector and single wastegate flange.

I'd look into losing that turbine housing in favor of a single-scroll housing as you're not going to benefit from the twin-scroll housing when it's mounted to a single-scroll manifold anyway...and having a giant divider running straight through the center of the volute isn't going to help flow very much- especially when you already have a turbine wheel which is undersized to be driving a billet extended-tip HX40 compressor wheel. Whoever put that setup together must not have given much though to turbine flow or had already been tapped-out budget-wise and chose against upgrading the turbine wheel and/or housing to match the billet compressor and nice manifold they had.

Good to know. Easiest solution would be to just swap the exhaust housing over on the turbo, right?
I'm definitely not opposed to doing that if it needs it.
Any way to upgrade the turbo to a full hx40, or would that require a t4 flange?

Just get the right hot side and the HX40. I ran one on a bolt on DSM BEP housing and now I use a T3 manifold and BEP's .70 housing with v-band exhaust. It's a beast.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back