The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

spark plugs with e85

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a reference point a blown methanol motor making similar specific power to us would typically run a plug equivalent to a BR10ES...Yet methanol has a cooler flame temp than gasoline and ethanol.

Do you read your plugs? NGK's are very easy to read. Read the plugs and making a decision
on what heat range to run, don't blindly follow what everyone says.

Anyway, a 9 is not to cold, and I'd wager even a 12 would not have fouling issues. The heat range had no effect on power. Also the spark doesn't have a direct effect on power output either. A strong spark will have less ignition delay than a weak spark, the is roughly equivalent to a small timing change.

Why would I trust any of those guys over my own experiences? Sure they tune some cars, and Tom made link, but that doesn't mean they know all.

Of course I read my plugs, and I know every setup is different. That's why some people can get away with over 22* of advance and others have a hard time getting to 16-17*. Every setup is different and each car likes different things.

I'm well aware of the plug requirements as they relate to gasoline (coldest plug you can get away with) and ethanol (hottest plug you can get away with). I'm not new to this, and I'm not one to follow what I read on the internet and take it as gospel. I've been doing this for better than 12 years. The reason my post count is so low is because for the most part I could care less what others do. I do my own thing, this applies to every aspect in life, not just cars.

I'm well aware that a spark plug's heat range has no effect on power. It only has to do with how well it can pull the heat out of the cylinder head to reduce detonation, because heat isn't built up in the plug tip, rather pulled through the insulation.

Also, if you took the time to read, I never said anyone had to run 7's or 8's. I said the concensus, meaning the GENERAL base of people running lots of boost and E85 are running these types of plugs.

This thread is going in the wrong direction, so I'm done posting in it.

For those of you who think running 9's and 10's are too cold obviously have never done anything serious with your car. If you had the proper instrumentation you would see how beneficial running colder plugs would be for your egt's. We dropped 30-50* going from 7's to 8's, 50* from 8's to 9's and 125* going from 9's to 10's. Needless to say once we got a real plug in the car we were really able to lean on it. The car still ran a stock ignitor with a Accel Ford coil. But around 40psi it had to have the plugs gapped down to. 017" to keep the spark from blowing out.

I will preach this until the end, a cold motor is a happy motor. Both with egt's and coolant temperatures.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back