The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

spark plugs with e85

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throwedgsx

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2007
Alexandria, Minnesota
What plugs are you guys running with E85? Also are your gapping them to the standard .028"?
Thanks!

BPR7's
@.028 I was blowing out spark with med boost levels (30+ psi)
I kept the 7's and gaped down to .021 and the breakup went away (35psi)
I wonder when a 8 is need for ethonal?

9's @ .024 30+psi on a 3065. I tried .028 and kept blowing the spark out and misfiring.

Way to bring one back from the dead!! Holy smokes.. Anyway on E85, 9's are way too cold. You need a hotter plug since the fuel burns cold to begin with. You'll have much better luck on a 7, FWIW.:thumb:

I'm on 6's @ .026.But Im mixing regular and e25. Not breaking up for me yet..Kinda wants to break up getting into boost, but not a big deal..I got new plugs to go in anyway.

Way to bring one back from the dead!! Holy smokes.. Anyway on E85, 9's are way too cold. You need a hotter plug since the fuel burns cold to begin with. You'll have much better luck on a 7, FWIW.:thumb:
This ^^^

I have Always have ran with E85 and boost in the 30psi range.

NGK Bpr7es or Br7es plugs gaped always less then 0.022 down to about 0.018

Currently been running BPR7EIX plugs for a while though... .

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/422682-what-plug-wires-you-running-30psi-range-stock-ignition.html

Here is a fairly more resent thread with quite a few peoples inputs on what Plugs & wires they run ^

This ^^^

I have Always have ran with E85 and boost in the 30psi range

Bpr7es or Br7es gaped Always less 0.022 down to about 0.018

currently running BPR7EIX plugs though... .

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/422682-what-plug-wires-you-running-30psi-range-stock-ignition.html

Here is a fairly more resent thread with quite a few peoples inputs on what Plugs & wires they run ^

I run BR8ES, but I'm with you on the gap. I run mine at .020 on 35psi, anything larger I have problems with spark blowout.

This ^^^

I have Always have ran with E85 and boost in the 30psi range

Bpr7es or Br7es gaped Always less 0.022 down to about 0.018

currently running BPR7EIX plugs though... .

I run BR7es's gapped at .26. I have my boost set at 37 pounds right now. This is on 300m coils and a Dynatek ARC-2.

What do you mean I will have "better luck?" My car hauls @$$ with zero spark related issues. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Less fouling and you can run more gap. 9's are a gas plug

I think you have bigger problems if you foul plugs on E85 even with a 9. I run br8es's with a .029 gap on ls1 coils and have never had any problem at 33psi. It doesnt loose torque or power on the 8's so why would I risk it.

A cold start (Less than 40 degrees F) with a cold plug will easily foul it. My point from the beginning was and is, why run that cold of a plug when it isn't necessary? Just so you can say "Oh, I run NGK BR9's" and the people you're talking to are like, "Oh snap, he must be running an assload of boost to run that cold of a plug!!!" :p

A cold start (Less than 40 degrees F) with a cold plug will easily foul it. My point from the beginning was and is, why run that cold of a plug when it isn't necessary? Just so you can say "Oh, I run NGK BR9's" and the people you're talking to are like, "Oh snap, he must be running an assload of boost to run that cold of a plug!!!" :p

Wrong again.

I was having problems with 7's and 8's. Went to 9's with .024 and I have not had a single problem. It has nothing to with telling people what plugs are being utilized.

Didn't you know that there is a law, that everything on the internet must be true.

Talk to any Real tuner, the guy at the track tuning the 6 second cars, and they will tell you to run the coldest plug that stays clean.

I run BR8ES, and could probably go to 9's. I had detonation problems on the projected style plugs, and switched to non projected. I also found I had to add about 3* timing back with non projected plugs.

Didn't you know that there is a law, that everything on the internet must be true.

Talk to any Real tuner, the guy at the track tuning the 6 second cars, and they will tell you to run the coldest plug that stays clean.

I run BR8ES, and could probably go to 9's. I had detonation problems on the projected style plugs, and switched to non projected. I also found I had to add about 3* timing back with non projected plugs.

I never said that everything on the internet is true, it clearly isn't. My1GDSM posted a thread chock full of experiences of members on this forum, stating what they run. A very large majority of the people making 60+ lb/min are running 7's or 8's. People running 9's are few and far between, and I would venture to say that something with their tune is causing them to run 9's.

Feel free to talk to My1g, Tom Dorris, Ricky Nichols, or any others that tune or work on big hp cars and see what their consensus is.

As someone in that 60+ lb/min club.. I typically ran NGK 8s and on a previous setup had to make the switch to non-projected 9s when I went from 30-31psi on to pushing almost 40psi on a "bolt-on" housing with a 59mm turbo.

Things were getting hot, and the 9s gave me the margin I needed to run nearly the same timing scheme I was at lower boost.

Those same folks you listed will also tell you everyone's setup is different, and will have different needs.

As a reference point a blown methanol motor making similar specific power to us would typically run a plug equivalent to a BR10ES...Yet methanol has a cooler flame temp than gasoline and ethanol.

Do you read your plugs? NGK's are very easy to read. Read the plugs and making a decision
on what heat range to run, don't blindly follow what everyone says.

Anyway, a 9 is not to cold, and I'd wager even a 12 would not have fouling issues. The heat range had no effect on power. Also the spark doesn't have a direct effect on power output either. A strong spark will have less ignition delay than a weak spark, the is roughly equivalent to a small timing change.

Feel free to talk to My1g, Tom Dorris, Ricky Nichols, or any others that tune or work on big hp cars and see what their consensus is.

Why would I trust any of those guys over my own experiences? Sure they tune some cars, and Tom made link, but that doesn't mean they know all.

As someone in that 60+ lb/min club.. I typically ran NGK 8s and on a previous setup had to make the switch to non-projected 9s when I went from 30-31psi on to pushing almost 40psi on a "bolt-on" housing with a 59mm turbo.

Things were getting hot, and the 9s gave me the margin I needed to run nearly the same timing scheme I was at lower boost.

Those same folks you listed will also tell you everyone's setup is different, and will have different needs.

As a reference point a blown methanol motor making similar specific power to us would typically run a plug equivalent to a BR10ES...Yet methanol has a cooler flame temp than gasoline and ethanol.

Do you read your plugs? NGK's are very easy to read. Read the plugs and making a decision
on what heat range to run, don't blindly follow what everyone says.

Anyway, a 9 is not to cold, and I'd wager even a 12 would not have fouling issues. The heat range had no effect on power. Also the spark doesn't have a direct effect on power output either. A strong spark will have less ignition delay than a weak spark, the is roughly equivalent to a small timing change.

Why would I trust any of those guys over my own experiences? Sure they tune some cars, and Tom made link, but that doesn't mean they know all.

But wait, don't you guys know you would have better "luck" running warmer plugs? Because what applies to one person applies to all.

:toobad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back