The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Space between new pressure plate and throw out bearing? Help...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsmDanielson

Proven Member
Jul 13, 2016
Peoria, Arizona
as the title states,I’m doing a transmission and clutch swap on my 1997 Gst. I got a competition clutch, new transmission, oem throwout bearing, etc. I used to alignment tool to put on the clutch and the clutch bolted in perfect with no problems. I put on the transmission after grabbing 3 friends and after a couple hearnias, we found finally got the transmission in place. I heard a thunk and I knew the splines had to have matched up and I bolted it up. Now to check the fitment, I pushed in the clutch fork to simulate the action and the throw out bearing doesn’t even touch the pressure plate until the fork is Towards the passenger side, and when it is touching I can’t get the pressure plate to disengage the clutch at all it’s like pushing a brick wall when I press on the fork. What gives?

But on my last clutch I was able to do it I don’t understand why not? And I thought there’s not supposed to be space in between the pressure plate and the throw out bearing. It’s a solid inch from the pressure plate

Yes, with no slave on the car you will be able to move the fork around. When you install the slave, that will keep the TOB against the pressure plate. The pressure plate has over 1000lbs of clamp force. You will never move it by hand

I think I have to agree with Silvre here. I don't think you can do this by hand and that's why we have a hydraulic system to do the heavy lifting.

What you can do is push on the fork in the same direction as it would move when you'd step on the clutch. What should happen is that the clutch fork will stop when it contacts the pressure plate spring fingers. The fork should be in the middle of the tranny access opening or a little bit towards the drive side. If it's past middle and towards the pasenger side you will need to correct this either with new pivot ball & or fork, or shimming the pivot ball.

Is your flywheel new or a used & resurfaced flywheel? Posting up some pictures showing what you've got going on would be helpful.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back