The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

something smelling like rotten eggs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenesxyby999

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2007
staten island, New_York
I usually dont smell rotten eggs when driving. Though the rotten egg smell comes inside the car and is horrid.

Otherwise the exhaust pipe is releasing white smoke that doesnt smell like burnt gas but a mixture of something, and a piece of my bumper is becoming black.

any suggestions on what should be done? is it a bad cat?

Last edited by a moderator:
I put in a new IAC. Still stuck with the same problems, rpms drop low after turning a/c on and idle is sometimes moving.

to take cat off and replace it with a test pipe, would the sound of the exhaust be a lot louder or what? and would this fix my problem. how can I check if the ecu is leaking

a hunting idle and a bad smell emanating from the cat is the least of your worries. the white smoke indicates that you are burning coolant and if it is a touch blue or gray you could be burning oil as well. the first (and easiest) step is to do a leak down check that tests for carbon monoxide (combustion gasses) in your radiator and a compression test. if either of these fail you very likely have a blown/leaking head gasket. mixing of oil and coolant can very quickly cause engine failure as a result of lack of lubrication and overheating problems. a head gasket is no easy task to replace and even an experienced mechanic needs to take their time to ensure the job is done right. the head needs to be checked to be straight and true, as a warped head will make all the efforts to change the head gasket useless, as it will leak again. the head gasket is the main gasket in the engine, not some flimsy rubber thing. it is subjected to the extreme pressures and temperatures of combustion gasses and also keeps coolant and oil in their respective passages.

the cat removal and replacement is relatively easy as long as the exhaust is not rusted to the point of ruining the fasteners. this is a job you can easily tackle yourself. i would recommend spraying the bolts on the exhaust with PB blast and letting it sit for at least an hour before attempting removal, as this will save you a lot of headaches by making the bolts/nuts easier to remove.

I would need a list of mods to determine the cause of the hunting idle as there are many factors causing this type of behavior. bigger injectors that have not been tuned properly could cause it, for starters. best of luck.

My idle jumps up and down as well.. I seem to have overheating issues staying still but going down the road im good.. I also see oil leaking from either where the head sits on top of the block or from the valve cover itself.. not sure quite yet.. bleh.. I hope its not my head gasket.. I really need the car to last a bit longer

There is absolutely no mods done to the car besides an aftermarket intake. I think the head gasket could be the solution to my problem. But a very pricey thing to fix. My idle drops to 300rpms where the engine sounds like its about to turn off and with a lil help from the throttle to push it back up. My oil light is starting to blink on and off sometimes the past couple of days.

If headgasket is what my car needs, say, "aye"!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back