The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

something smelling like rotten eggs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenesxyby999

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2007
staten island, New_York
I usually dont smell rotten eggs when driving. Though the rotten egg smell comes inside the car and is horrid.

Otherwise the exhaust pipe is releasing white smoke that doesnt smell like burnt gas but a mixture of something, and a piece of my bumper is becoming black.

any suggestions on what should be done? is it a bad cat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the white smoke from the exhaust smell like burning coolant?

Do a compression test, sounds like you might have a blown headgasket. :thumb:

When catalytic converters go bad they tend to smell like that, it is possible to smell it inside even if your windows are closed. Take the cat out its probably empty. The smoke could be entirely unrelated, However, you could be burning all your cat guts out. If you are burning oil that could also be where the white smoke is coming from. So, take care of your cat first then if you are still getting the smoke work from there.

Head gasket is like 60$ and if you've never changed one before your in for a learning experience. Probably a 5-6 hour job for someone who isn't sure what to do. Go get a service manual and follow the directions and you should do fine.

Head gasket is like 60$ and if you've never changed one before your in for a learning experience. Probably a 5-6 hour job for someone who isn't sure what to do. Go get a service manual and follow the directions and you should do fine.

I know a gasket is this rubber type thing that seals something shut. Just cant believe its $60, and it is a new experience for me.

and for someone who knows what to do? how long would it take?

spark plugs have to be removed as well?

I know a gasket is this rubber type thing that seals something shut. Just cant believe its $60, and it is a new experience for me.

and for someone who knows what to do? how long would it take?

spark plugs have to be removed as well?

$60 is cheap. A shop will rape you in the ass if you have them change it for you.

You have to remove the entire head to change the headgasket. Meaning, you will have to re-set the timing. IIRC, you also have to remove the motor mount to get the timing cover off.

You should do a compression test first, also check to see if your oil looks like there is coolant in it before you try to change it. Verify that it is the problem, then go from there.

and to see if my oil looks like there is coolant in it, I would take the dipstick out and check it?

It would be easier to tell if you drain it into a pan, but yes you can check the dipstick as well. It should look somewhat like chocolate milk.

mmmm chocolate milk :). The smell is most likely from that Cat....sounds like a good time to just go straight pipe. The Head gasket will be a pain if you have never even worked on your car

Another way to check is to take your oil cap off, you should be able to tell if there's coolant from there. I have to ask, what kind of work do you do in your car? Because it honestly sounds like you are pretty new to the game. You're best bet is to find someone in your regional forums to help you out. Buy them a case of beer for their help, and try and just have them supervise you so you get the experience without doing more harm than good. Both problems seem to be unrelated, so I'd start with the cat, and move on from there.

As far as the oil cap, removing the radiator cap will also reveal if coolant/oil is mixing. But if the cat was bad, I don't see how the smell would be in the cabin of the car, unless he has it open after the cat or has a leak in the exhaust somewhere towards the front of the car and it's going out by there and finding it's way into the cabin.

However, if the smell is strong enough it WILL get in your cabin. I've ran rich before on a car with all the exhaust runnin to the back,no exhaust leaks, and you could still smell it. Just like if you fart and keep going you can sometimes still smell it.

Well yeah, as far as the smell getting in I suppose you are right. I have been able to smell the gas fumes inside the car with my exhaust going outback. I think he should also pull out his ECU and just check it out, shouldn't be that hard to do.

four bolts sounds better than removing and/or replacing the cat. :D

As far as the oil cap, removing the radiator cap will also reveal if coolant/oil is mixing. But if the cat was bad, I don't see how the smell would be in the cabin of the car, unless he has it open after the cat or has a leak in the exhaust somewhere towards the front of the car and it's going out by there and finding it's way into the cabin.

Id definently do straight pipes, but how would I ever pass inspection?

How would I do the conversion though?

When the cat goes bad you normly you cant go very fast if im not mistaking, but thats the only rotten smell i know of.

There is no conversion, you buy a test pipe, and just slap it in the cats place. As for inspections, you can find a guy that will pass it for you for some extra cash, or you can mix in some e85 with your gas (maybe 1gal for every 5?not held responsible for you putting too much). Inspection is only every two yrs, so if you have any other mods you probably wouldn't pass anyway,just pay a guy to pass it for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back