The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

sohc~~>dohc conversion???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderman_97gs

Probationary Member
May 12, 2002
Travis_AFB_CA
does anyone know if its possable to put a dohc on my sohc 4g64(2.4l, n/t... for now, 2g gs spyder motor). im gonna be putting a turbo kit on it soon, and id like to convert this to dohc jsut to say i have it to better the performance and what not:D if it is possable, maybe someone could tell me where i could pick up a dohc head off another motor that would work or something, maybe even point me to someone who makes custom heads.

it is possible I beleive, but, it involves alot of work and I don't if anyone has done it yet.

Check this site out

4G64 Performance

Later,

thanx man... u think a 4g63 dohc head would fit onit, i heard of people doing this, but then again the may be full of $#!t

thanx man... u think a 4g63 dohc head would fit onit, i heard of people doing this, but then again the may be full of $#!t

hey dude!! im going to do the same thing! a dohc will fit on a 4g64 block , i been doing lots of research but the thing im missing is all the other parts besides the head that i will need for the conversion, my 98 eclipse spyder has been turbo charged allready so i allready have a 2g turbo ecu, 2g turbo injectors and the resistor box i just need to know what else do i need in order to do the switch!! anyways hopefully somebody can give us some advice .

hey dude!! im going to do the same thing! a dohc will fit on a 4g63 block , i been doing lots of research but the thing im missing is all the other parts besides the head that i will need for the conversion, my 98 eclipse spyder has been turbo charged allready so i allready have a 2g turbo ecu, 2g turbo injectors and the resistor box i just need to know what else do i need in order to do the switch!! anyways hopefully somebody can give us some advice .

Lol, is it still 2002?

OK, Im doing the swap right now, but I needed more parts to convert my ignition from distributor to coil packs, but you guys with the spyders already have that, so it will be a P'n'P for you.

Parts that you need:

DOHC head /obviously/ + MAnifold and Fuel rail
You could reuse the stock TB, but if you decide to upgrade to 1g TB youll need to swap the ISC
94 Galant Cam Gears /stock 4g63 wont work, you need ones off 4g64 DOHC/
94 Galant 4g64 DOHC Timing belt /stock 4g63 comes a bit short/
94 Galant 4g64 DOHC Head Gasket
1x1/2 inch freeze plug; 2x5/8's freeze plugs and 2x11/16's freeze plugs /you need to plug these on the block, because the DOHC head does not have the oil drain passages/
2g CAS to swap with you spyder CAS
1g or 2g Thermostat housing /4g64 feeds the heater and TB coolant straight from the head/
2g water pipe /4g64 water pipe ends in the 4g64 thermostat, with the new thermostat housing you need to reroute that, plus some peops already have turbos, so the coolant can drain in the new water pipe/
2g radiator hoses

OK, Im doing the swap right now, but I needed more parts to convert my ignition from distributor to coil packs, but you guys with the spyders already have that, so it will be a P'n'P for you.

Parts that you need:

DOHC head /obviously/ + MAnifold and Fuel rail
You could reuse the stock TB, but if you decide to upgrade to 1g TB youll need to swap the ISC
94 Galant Cam Gears /stock 4g63 wont work, you need ones off 4g64 DOHC/
94 Galant 4g64 DOHC Timing belt /stock 4g63 comes a bit short/
94 Galant 4g64 DOHC Head Gasket
1x1/2 inch freeze plug; 2x5/8's freeze plugs and 2x11/16's freeze plugs /you need to plug these on the block, because the DOHC head does not have the oil drain passages/
2g CAS to swap with you spyder CAS
1g or 2g Thermostat housing /4g64 feeds the heater and TB coolant straight from the head/
2g water pipe /4g64 water pipe ends in the 4g64 thermostat, with the new thermostat housing you need to reroute that, plus some peops already have turbos, so the coolant can drain in the new water pipe/
2g radiator hoses

cool man!! im gonna start looking for the parts! deam i didnt know that some of the parts are from a 94 galant 4g64 , are those hard to find? hey i was wondering does it has to be a 1g head or can i use a 2g head?

It really doesnt matter what head you use, jut make sure you use the same generation intake manifold. Parts you can find from JNZ tuning. I think cam gears are 25 each, head gasket is like 60 and timing belt was 40-60, but not sure. And make sure you look under and only 94 galant GS trim DOHC 4g64, no other year Galant came with that engine

It really doesnt matter what head you use, jut make sure you use the same generation intake manifold. Parts you can find from JNZ tuning. I think cam gears are 25 each, head gasket is like 60 and timing belt was 40-60, but not sure. And make sure you look under and only 94 galant GS trim DOHC 4g64, no other year Galant came with that engine

thanx dude!! now i have an idea of all the things i need!!

I believe all the sirius based(4g63,4g63,4g64, blah blah blah) can be interchangeably swapped from sohc to dohc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back