The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

So my motor locked up...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillabaum03

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2005
sharpsville, Pennsylvania
And i dont know how that could happend.. The crank wont spin..at all.. I tried manually wiht a breaker bar and nothing.. What could cause a motor to completly lock up..When i try to crank it nothing happens the starter just locks up.. The motor rebuilt and only have about 5K on it..

If you want to know, Pull the Motor.

When things go wrong and its quite obviously something Mechanical, the first thing you should be doing is pulling everything apart. Thats how you learn. Once apart, if you still dont know why there was a Failure, then post Pics.

And i dont know how that could happend.. The crank wont spin..at all.. I tried manually wiht a breaker bar and nothing.. What could cause a motor to completly lock up..When i try to crank it nothing happens the starter just locks up.. The motor rebuilt and only have about 5K on it..

what type of oil did you use to break her in?
i say that most likely your bearings took a crap...take the oil pan out to see the carnage.
p.s
post pics

Your first and easiest step would be to check the timing. As long as you marked the cam gears you should be able to see if they are still on or if maybe they have skipped a few teeth. If nothing, I would then proceed to pull the oil pan and check the bearings and caps. If all else fails you may have to pull your motor.

Im not sure what oil was used to break in but i run full synthetic.. The motor didnt knock or anything.. Ran fine and then just locked up as i fulled out of a stop light..

I checked the timing everything was still right.. I pulled the timing belt. Everything spins freely(cams,oil pump) everything but the crank.. It is solid.. No matter how much pressure you put it, it will no budge..

get a really big hammer.

sorry to hear that man. pull the oil pan off and drop the main caps one at a time. see whitch on seized. you could try replaceing the bearings while the motor is still in. thats how we do it at the shop. put a nail in the crank oil wholes and turn the crank useing the nail to push out the bearing.

atleast pull the pan off to see what happend

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back