The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Smoke Coming From Air Vent When Driving????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalon24

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2010
Seattle, Washington
Hey guys, so this has been happening for 4 days in a row now and randomly when im driving or pulling hard smoke starts coming out of my front two air vents.. It smells like an electrical smoke or something.. I have a 420a motor and the turbo is not yet installed the engine is mostly stock except for a cold air intake..

please help I don't know what it could be im thinking the heater core but im not sure???

hmmm a few months back this also happened to me after a hard pull, I didn't notice I had my AC on LOL. ever since that time some smoke would ramdomly come out of the AC vents. It smelled humid. But after a few weeks it went away....... never really found out what it was LOL

hmmm a few months back this also happened to me after a hard pull, I didn't notice I had my AC on LOL. ever since that time some smoke would ramdomly come out of the AC vents. It smelled humid. But after a few weeks it went away....... never really found out what it was LOL

yeah but mine is to the point were if i switch the vent to the front my windshield gets all foggy and all.. im thinking its a new heater core since my engine doesn't overheat it says in the middle of the hot and cold marker

maybe he thinks that when his car overheats, it might blow smoke through the vents. shh.

Eagle... i'm thinkin it's your heater core too. my truck did the same thing. new heater core, no problems :)

If it smells kinda sweet, like antifreeze. That is usually a bad heater core... though I'm not sure if it will smell anymore last i heard they changed it a bit so it didn't smell/taste like something the should be ingested LOL.

if i remember... mine didn't smell like much of anything... the smoke that is... the antifreeze leaking into the cab of the truck from the heater smelled like.. antifreeze! i didn't even realize it was leaking and i drove it home and i was so dizzy by the time i got here :\ but as far as i remember, the smoke didn't smell like anything, it was just a real hazard turning on the defroster :p

Ya dude your right it's the heater core 99 % sure of that. I now have a gsx but befor I was rocking the 420a and same thing happened to me. First the smoke in the vents and if you try to get it out of your face and put the defroster on it fogs up your window a real pain in the a$$!!! Check the passenger side under the dash you should see some antifreeze our some staining. If you can't afford to replace that heater core than you could atleast bypass it for now just so you won't have that smoke in your cargo.....

Happend to my sisters jeep. The antifreeze was leaking so bad that it was coming out on to the floor and making the carpet wet. Had to replace the heatercore and the carpet LOL

Nice find on the write up psx wish I had that when mine went out haha ya it's almost worth trying to do it yourself if I remember correctly the heater core is only around 130 bucks but the labor is like 600 or 800 bucks i'm not lying it's ridiculous. Taking of the dash is tedious but just take your time and remember where you took things off so putting it back on will be a bit easier, take pictures if you have to haha

LOL what does this have to do with overheating?

when i first bought the car it had overheating problems, which i fixed 2 days after I bought the car.

how long does this whole heater core process take im so busy with school and work. is it a complex process after you remove the dash and install the new core.

ALSO how do I know if I have to install new hoes or not to the heater core or if its just the heater core itself?

Taking the dash is the actual process once you have the dash off the heater core isn't hard and typically it's the heater core itself but most likely those hoses are just as old as the heater core itself so you could replace those just to be safe. Also taking the dash off for the first time is pretty consuming I wouldn't be suprised if you it took you the whole day sucks I know:(

Wow, I just saw how to do this.. Looks like is a pain and I'm gonna have to do it because mine is doing the same thing.:mad:

It could be the heater blower motor, since you said it smells like burning electrical.

this is happening to me too. is this the only way to fix the heater core? also i live in hawaii and i really dont need the heater. can i just remove it?

i also noticed that over a period of time the water level in the reservoir slowly goes down. could this be the reason?

Yes, it could be the reason. Just bypass your heater core. That will be the simplest way to do it.

I have a 96 eclipse RS. I was having the same exact problem, smoke coming out of the vents, it smelled like cat urine and burning plastic. It turned out to be the cable that was connected to the clutch that stretched when the clutch is engaged was scraping against the metal and causing it to spark. Check it out it might be your issue :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back