The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Smell Of Exhaust/Fuel When Windows Opened

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeWyoRksPLaYaZ

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2011
NY, New_York
hey guys, ive noticed this ever since I bought the car and I finally remembered to post it here LOL. Every time I am driving and I open my sun/moon roof and or windows, it smells like exhaust fumes or gas..but what I dont get is, it only comes when im driving, i could stand next to my car in the driveway and it never smells like it, i smell it most on the highway. what could this be? it sounds like I have a veryy small exhaust leak because it sounds liek paper flattering under the car somewhere but could that be the cause of a major waft of smell? Thanks in advance.

Hey bud:

Do you have any upgraded and or worn parts involving your fuel pressure regulator? Check under your hood. 2G's are notorious for leaking a tad of fuel from the return hose connecting the FPR to the hard line returning to the tank (the return line is undersized from the factory and builds a lot of back pressure) Give it a good check and let us know.

Hope this helps!

Most likely you have an exhaust leak. Jack the car up and check your downpipe to see if it has any cracks or holes in it. My o2 is dumped straight down and I smell exhaust in the summer when I roll my windows down and put my sunroof back.

I have experienced that. Mine was actually coming from the rear of the car. With the windows down, it was creating a vacuum drawing air from the back of the car. I had a couple holes in the trunk area, which is where it is coming from. Check under your trunk liner and see if you have any openings.

mrvict0r I dont think I have an upgraded FPR but if I was looking for it, where would it be?

Ill jack the car up tomorow and see if i can find where the leak is. It just smells so strong when I crack the window open. I cant replicate the smell while standing, only while driving so its a little hard to pin point where its coming from :(

Hey bud:

The FPR is on the drivers side of the fuel rail, and is connected with a rubber hose to a metal tube on the firewall.

If you figure out your smelling exhaust and not fuel, disregard :)

Good luck!

Yep, its exhaust fumes not gasoline. Whe I get home from work I'm jacking it up, its rediculouss. Thanks vict0r!

I have experienced that. Mine was actually coming from the rear of the car. With the windows down, it was creating a vacuum drawing air from the back of the car. I had a couple holes in the trunk area, which is where it is coming from. Check under your trunk liner and see if you have any openings.

+1

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the fact that my trunk seal had a 4 inch gash in it. When the windows were down, it created a vacuum, and drew the air back into the cabin from the rear of the car. Got a new seal, never had the problem again.

Matt

97s have the EVAP under the battery. If the rubber seal at the back edge of the hood is gone, air can be pulled from the area around the canister to the interior via the vent at the base of the windshield.

The other main possibility is mentioned above: a leak on top of the gas tank or in the filler neck.

In both cases, the partial vacuum created by opening the sunroof pulls the fumes towards the head of the driver.

I once came across this problem.

For me, it was the fuel rail and two fuel injectors. The rail was rusted through! The two fuel injectors were leaking directly onto the intake manifold. Amazingly, my car never caught fire the three years I owned it.

Lost a ton of gas and nearly lost consciousness from the fumes on the highway. :notgood:

Holes in the exhaust BEFORE the cat are really horrible to smell, too. :ohdamn:

I just found a nice hole right above the exhaust, it was rusted on the driver side trunk area, so I covered it and drove around and the smell is definatly less but it smells still :(

bringing this thread back because the warm weather is here and with the windows down im seriously dying :(

I changed/welded anything that even seemed like an exhaust leak from the waste down to the end of the muffler. I had everything welded and even still with my window down it stinks. Its like someone took a hose from my exhaust and routed it inside my interior its ridiculous. I feel as tho when I open my passenger side window it smells more but not 100%. Did anyone else have a simmilar problem and what did you do to fix it. I really cant do this much longer I start to get massive headaches from about 10 mins of driving

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the same thing, turned out to be an exhaust leak just above the cat. It also wouldn't hurt to check the inside of your intake manifold.

did someone (previous owner maybe) remove your EGR? and not block it off, or capped anything? that partially solved my issue, well the bulk of the smell.. now to fix my broken manifold stud, and replace gaskets:ohdamn: that should seal the deal!. . . well for me.

Hope this helps!:thumb:

maybe you have your evap canister deleted or disconnected its under the battery on the passenger side check it please, and come back. maybe there's a line disconnected.

*EDIT: Basically same idea

where is the charcoal canister located? I honestly don't see anything under my battery. I also dont have any idea where the egr would be :coy:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/308695-egr-valve-missing.html

that might help,

excuse this old pic..
against the head, about in the middle, under the thermostat housing youll see this possibly but sideways..the EGR valve(I had to remove my battery to get to it)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

EDIT:: That is not the "canister"

Last edited:
I smell gas when I stop too....I don't know why you would be able to smell it on the highway tho

Maybe you have too big of a fuel pump and you are running rich

I smell gas when I stop too....I don't know why you would be able to smell it on the highway tho

Maybe you have too big of a fuel pump and you are running rich

nope, stock fuel pump and only runs rich wiile letting off throttle (non recirc bov)

check to see if the previous owner did not gut out your exhaust converter.

if you are referring to the catalytic converter, it doesn't have one

Canister is under battery tray.

Cool, ill take a look as soon as I can, but I dont see anything under the batter tray except tranny.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/308695-egr-valve-missing.html

that might help,

excuse this old pic..
against the head, about in the middle, under the thermostat housing youll see this possibly but sideways..the EGR valve(I had to remove my battery to get to it)

EDIT:: That is not the "canister"

thanks alot for the detailed post bud I really appreciate it. Ill take a look there as soon as I get some free time:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back