The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Single digit Auto 1g street/strip build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoping to get the STM small front & rear brake kit and a 3" DSS driveshaft on the car soon. Looking like that will shed a good 35lbs in rotational weight.

Other than that I am not changing anything until winter.

33834250524_d878634a2c_z.jpg

Thanks guys!

Did a little maintenance over the weekend and a health check on the transmission. Transfer gears are still in good shape. Converter bolts haven't budged at all after 40+ passes or so.

36250466206_65dc905d29_c.jpg

Last edited:
I did a health check on the transmission because I had a strange intermittent no shift issue where it would not shift once the fluid got up above ~120F*.

The issue went away and the car seemed to drive fine but I was still concerned. I dropped the pan this weekend to find a LOT of metal shavings. I think the pump is having issues. I picked up a fresh built trans built by Darren Thomas thanks to local DSMer @DetroitStroker

Today I ship the converter back to Sinister to be cleaned so I can toss the new trans in. I am also replacing the trans cooler.

My plan for the failed trans is to have that built with straight cut gears and a billet drum over winter.

36027822390_f43afa0d69_c.jpg

36287802971_3caaf2f7ec_c.jpg

My 3" aluminum downpipe I made from cheap ebay material back from when I first started welding is holding up pretty nicely :D

36027822740_16d235e74f_c.jpg

Last edited:
I did a health check on the transmission because I had a strange intermittent no shift issue where it would not shift once the fluid got up above ~120F*.

The issue went away and the car seemed to drive fine but I was still concerned. I dropped the pan this weekend to find a LOT of metal shavings. I think the pump is having issues. I picked up a fresh built trans built by Darren Thomas thanks to local DSMer @DetroitStroker

Today I ship the converter back to Sinister to be cleaned so I can toss the new trans in. I am also replacing the trans cooler.

My plan for the failed trans is to have that built with straight cut gears and a billet drum over winter.

View attachment 340872

View attachment 340873

My 3" aluminum downpipe I made from cheap ebay material back from when I first started welding is holding up pretty nicely :D

View attachment 340874

You got amazing dedication for your DSM. That's awesome! I'm just surprised that lot of Evo guys aren't jumping into this platform since they have yet to hit 7's with theirs. This goes to show how strong autos are considering yours has been in the 9's for some time. Can't wait till you break 8.99 with it

You got amazing dedication for your DSM. That's awesome! I'm just surprised that lot of Evo guys aren't jumping into this platform since they have yet to hit 7's with theirs. This goes to show how strong autos are considering yours has been in the 9's for some time. Can't wait till you break 8.99 with it
Thank you. I try my best to keep this car in tip top shape, whether its going to just sit in the garage or be raced. I agree, moving over from the Evo platform to this was one of the better choices i've made, haha.

I think I will look for 8.99 next season!

The street eliminator class at the shootout requires an air filter so I started to fab up an intake pipe. I just need to fully weld it up. I don't really care for how it came out... i'll probably take my time and build another one down the road to use permanently. I'm using a uni air filter which I used on the Evo and found that it does not restrict any boost or power loss with a 62mm @ 40psi.

36273998432_47ca5f0a3f_c.jpg

36391087206_6b47b4558b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up the intake pipe. I'm definitely going to take my time and re-make this over winter with some better pie cuts and welding. A black uni filter would be nice too :|

36460977325_7cb4f94a71_c.jpg

Next project is a catch pan/undertray that I need to have done by next week as that is also required for the shootout. I will start to plan that this evening.

Last edited:
Finished the catch pan. I will mount it once the transmission & t-case are back in the car. It sits flush with my front tubular cross member. Will be plenty of ground clearance.

This takes care of the engine, trans, and tcase.

36343858692_ed6d8119f4_c.jpg

36343858592_a2c4e91b53_c.jpg

36465579146_a802103a73_c.jpg

36512030355_879f7d690a_c.jpg

Does the pan have any weight to it, or is it pretty light?

I should have made a pan, ended up buying a diaper from jewer.
That diaper does look really nice. If I didn't have the time I would have just bought one of those probably.

Does the pan have any weight to it, or is it pretty light?
It has some weight to it but its not bad. I'd guess 5-8lbs. It is made of aluminum.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back