Signs of a Spun Bearing?

Posted by DSMAddict, Feb 8, 2003
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. DSMAddict

DSMAddict Proven Member

, Austin_TX
    Was wondering what characterisitics are associated with a car thats spun a bearing, thinking that may be my problem

2. NOSNUSE

NOSNUSE Proven Member

belpre, Ohio
    do you think it is a rod bearing or main bearing?, if it's the rod bearing you will get a loud knocking noise all the time, if it's your main bearing your oil pressure will be really low, these are just a few signs.

:dsm:

3. DSMAddict

DSMAddict Proven Member

, Austin_TX
    im pretty sure its my rod bearing, cause yeah im getting that loud knocking/flapping noise. Its very hard to describe, but its loud and whenever im moving(and most of the time idling) ill hear it.

4. DSMAddict

DSMAddict Proven Member

, Austin_TX
    and if I have spun a rod bearing, what do u think the next best step would be in the repair process(scrap this block, or fix it)?

5. NOSNUSE

NOSNUSE Proven Member

belpre, Ohio
    i would say that is it, the only real way is to pull the oil pan off and look and see. sorry to hear that.

6. NOSNUSE

NOSNUSE Proven Member

belpre, Ohio
    pull the motor and have the rods and crank checked for damage, but i would say that you will need another set of rods, pistons and more than likely have to have the crank turned, the block can be bored if it did any damage to it, most of the damage is going to be in the bottom end, or you could find another motor and drop it in.

7. DSMAddict

DSMAddict Proven Member

, Austin_TX
    cost wise what do u think would be more efficient?? Go for a 6 bolt, or just work with what I have now?(75k on current motor)

8. NOSNUSE

NOSNUSE Proven Member

belpre, Ohio
    go with a 6bolt if you can,i got to thinking about it and you may have crankwalk also.

9. DSMAddict

DSMAddict Proven Member

, Austin_TX
    but most people that CW, cant turn their cars on, mine will actually run

10. NOSNUSE

NOSNUSE Proven Member

belpre, Ohio
    it was just a side note. just wanted to cover another possiblity.

11. DSMAddict

DSMAddict Proven Member

, Austin_TX
    even if my car didnt CW, looking like its 6bolt time, even tho I dont have the money to do it, seems to me to be the only option

12. NOSNUSE

NOSNUSE Proven Member

belpre, Ohio
    good call. like i said the CW thing was just a side note.

13. DSMAddict

DSMAddict Proven Member

, Austin_TX
    if it just spun the rod bearing, and didnt damage anything else? is it still worth it to get it fixed, or should I no matter what just 6bolt it?

14. ECLIPSE4x4

ECLIPSE4x4 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    New Bern, North_Carolina
    Why does not anyone ever answer these questions of cost?

15. cait sith

cait sith Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Throw the seven bolt out and put in a six.

By the time you rebuild everything, with the price, the pain you're going to have to go through to rebuild that motor which could more than likely crankwalk now that you've messed with the internal bearing structure on the 7 bolt, (That's at least in MY opinion, don't quote this as bible truth).. It's not worth the heartache.

With the 6 bolt, you get all sorts of NEW problems to deal with! Like shoddy installation, modification, and ECU gremlins!

16. sirhcs 4g63

sirhcs 4g63 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , WyomingUS
    i had the same decision to make back in march when i spun a bearing. either pay a local machine shop $1,300.00 to polish the crank a new bearings (plus removal and reinstallation) and still have to worry about crank-walk or drop in the 6-bolt. i decided to drop in the 6-bolt ($2,000.00) and hopefully not have to worry about the crank walk. after all the new parts required to convert to my 97, (approximately $1,500.00) and a boat load of labor costs from a shop who'd never done the conversion before i ended up spending about $7,000.00. hopefully your labor costs won't be as high as mine (i live in wyoming) in dropping in a 6-bolt.