The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

shim pivot ball while still in car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok so bringing this back from the dead because it really saved me some time in diagnosing things. It IS possible to shim the ball while everything is still together on the car! Well kinda LOL. total time about 35 mins.

You gotta:
-Remove center crossmember
-Remove the slave
-Use a screw driver to pop the fork off the ball.
-Grind down a 1/3 off a closed sided 12 point wrench 14mm
-Pray you didn't loctite the ball in place
-Back the pivot ball out until your clutch fork sits at centerline!

Now I suppose you could grind some of a shim washer off so you could slide it under and into position BUT I wasn't thrilled about doing this because there really isn't a lot of room and you would need a super long needle nose pliers and probably superglue to hold the washer while you tightened the ball back down.

I just used this as a diagnostic procedure to figure out if I really needed to shim the pivot ball or if a something else like a bad trans or broken clutch was causing my properly bleed and adjusted new hydrolic components to block my shifting. Long story short it needed shimmed!

I'm going to now drop the trans and shim the ball now that I know for sure the issue.

Standard I'm not responsible if you use my method and blow up your car hurt yourself someone else or anything else that could possibly happen if you do what I did.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back