The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Shifter issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbgriffin

Proven Member
Jun 14, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
So my 91 talon Tsi is having some shifter issues. Since I purchased it 10 months ago, it's been a little crunchy. And I've gone to great lengths to remedy this, which helped for a while. But now is almost unbearable. So it's mainly going into 1st and reverse. I've noticed that the shifter side to side movement seems off. It pulls back towards center even when in 1st. And I can move it back and forth a good 3inch when in most gears. Also I really have to pull hard left or right to go into 1st and reverse.
Here's a list of things I've done in the last 1000 miles. New clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, slave and master cylinder. Installed shifter base & cable bushings. I've flushed my transmission twice. Once with mt-90, and now running mt-85. I've bleed my clutch hydraulics about 5 times. Been messing with the shift cable adjustment and clutch rod adjustment several times (per vfaq's). Also have shimmed up my shifter pivot points, to take out slop.
So I'm sure my transmission synchro's aren't in perfect shape by any means. But I'm convinced it's my linkage, cables, and/or shifter assembly. It's like it's not getting enough side to side movement to go into 1st and reverse. And I don't think it should move that much while in gear? Anybody have any ideas that I haven't tried yet? Any help would be great, thanks.

Have u replaced the shifter bushings for the actual shifter and not just the base? They go in the sleeve for the shifter which pivots up and down. Remove the center console and shifter boot and take a close look at the movement. I'm sure this bushings are gone.

Yeah I've taken that apart twice now, the bushings are still in one piece. But there was a little slop though, so I made my own shims. Cut a few small washers from the center of a soda bottle, worked great. But the main issue is still there. I can put in third gear and still move the knob 3-4". And if I put it in 1st or rev, it doesn't stay over. The knob gets pulled back center. So my 1st-2nd shift requires me to manually pull it hard left and then down. Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough. Not really sure if it's the cables or what? But I went ahead and purchased a good used shifter from performance part out.

U may also want to check the shifter base mounted on the transmission. I had shifting issues until I swapped that base to a 91+ base. Whoever had the car before was running a 90 base and causing tons of shift issues.
I'll investigate that, was just reading an old thread about issues with the bracket coming loose too.
Quick question though. In your car's, when putting it in 1st or rev does the shifter try to pull back to center even when in gear? Or does it stay over to the left or right of the shift pattern? I realize there's the spring to center it when in neutral, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to stay over to the left when 1st or vise versa? Thanks again man.

Check for a broken or missing select shoe at the transmission .
So is that part of the bracket and pivot points mounted on the transmission? Where the cables are attached?
Also I'm trying to get an answer to a question. On our cars, if you were to put in 1st gear, should it relatively stay in that position, left and up? Or does it normally pull back to the center a few inches like mine is? I'm guessing not?

It's stays in position for the most part. Yes the bracket in the trans. There is a square plastic cube on the select lever. This is for left right. If this is missing it will likely do exactly what you are describing.

Yes, you nailed it. When I took the bracket off for cleaning and to grease that square plastic deal fell out. Luckily I hadn't swept my carport since, so I found it.
Still having a little slop issues, making for a crunchy shift through some gears. But I just received my new/used shifter from performance partout. So I'll start with that, see if it helps. At some point I'll be doing my 1st DSM transmission rebuild I guess. I'm sure it's not gonna be fully satisfactory til I do. Anyway thanks for the input.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back