1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

1G Shifter cables stiff?

Posted by RipperXX, Sep 15, 2018

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. RipperXX

RipperXX Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2003
    Royston, Georgia
    I noticed about a month ago my shifter seemed a little stiff and it's only gotten worse. It doesn't want to move freely on the horizontal (left to right) it wont return to center like it ought to on it's own either. Any idea what the most likely cause is? Rather where to start investigating? Around spring I replaced the plastic bushings that time had caused to disintegrate it's been fine until recently. So I think it's the cables?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

13.476 @ 105.48 MPH

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. RipperXX

RipperXX Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2003
    Royston, Georgia
    Anyone? I ask because I don't have much time right now with 3 kids who are all in soccer etc. plus chores. Anyone know a likely cause? Bushings? Is there some spring? can cables be lubed? If so, what's the best way?

My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

13.476 @ 105.48 MPH
  3. amsrn13

amsrn13 Proven Member

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    So you already replaced the bushing and lubricated the shifter assembly. You also have it adjusted correctly? Do you have an aftermarket Intake manifold....ive noticed that certain manifolds sit the throttle body so low it hits the cables and makes shifting more difficult.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

645 whp   498 lb/ft
  4. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

14.200 @ 95.000 MPH
  5. brian9397gsx

brian9397gsx Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    sioux city, Iowa
    I've also had the cables themselves be bad that made them really stiff like your saying. Disconnect them from the shifter and trans then check your shifter. Then check the cables. I had to buy new cables from Mitsubishi, bring lube it hurt.

My DSM:
    brian9397gsx 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

19.80 @ 35.55 MPH
  6. RipperXX

RipperXX Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2003
    Royston, Georgia
    Thx, I'll pull it into the shop this weekend and see how the lever assembly looks and see how the cables move with them disconnected from the transmission.

Also, no aftermarket intake manifold.

My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

13.476 @ 105.48 MPH
  7. agentorange313

agentorange313 Supporting VIP

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Westfield, New Jersey
    unfortunately 1g shifter cables are no longer available from Mitsu

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

10.455 @ 104.000 MPH
  8. DSSA

DSSA Supporting Vendor

Joined Jul 26, 2002
    Hatfield, Pennsylvania

^^^^ This. The lever bolted to the transmission has been known to almost seize at the pivot point and cause this.

You don't have anything like skateboard bearings in the ends of the cable do you? If so, these often seize up as well unless you keep them regularly lubricated. I've also seen the bronze units seize as well (the steel pivot point on the levers rusts and causes everything to bind), which is why we made and have always used the Delrin units, as they're sacrificial to the metal.

tk106 likes this.
  9. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    +1 DSSA

Most likely the lever assembly on the trans. Clean and lube should fix it.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   manual
  10. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Disconnect the cables from the shifter assembly inside the car and see if it’s still tight. That’ll point you in the right direction

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   manual
  11. RamenPride

RamenPride Proven Member

Joined Aug 18, 2002
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    A couple years ago I was having issues shifting, especially 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. It was so bad that I as thought the tranny needed a rebuild. Turns out coolant had leaked onto the lever(s) below, mixed with the lube creating a thick pasty substance and dried. Cleaned it up and lubed everything, and it's shifting better than it has in years.

My DSM:
    Ohmega and RipperXX like this.
  12. RipperXX

RipperXX Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2003
    Royston, Georgia
    ,,I found a coolant leak that had been dripping from a short connector on my home made coolant over flow can that seems to have been doing exactly this! Thanks for posting! I'll update soon if it was in fact the case here.

My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

13.476 @ 105.48 MPH
    DSSA likes this.