The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G shift points on a 98 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaMont Randell

Proven Member
Mar 7, 2015
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I'm new to having a turbo car. I was trying to figure out what the shift points would be. Do I shift right before red line and is this OK to do in first gear as well?

Depends on your driving style. Normal driving, I usually shift around 3k, spirited driving, 5-6k, all out running hard, max rev limit. Stock rev limit is 7200, so for you, would say max rpm shift would be 7k.

once you crank up the boost on the smaller turbos youll find no point revving so high, cause they run out of breath up top. im not sure if its necessary to rev to 7000 in stock form.
you wont hurt your engine revving to redline, but it does make it harder to shift. you probably wouldnt be any slower shifting at 6500

once you crank up the boost on the smaller turbos youll find no point revving so high, cause they run out of breath up top. im not sure if its necessary to rev to 7000 in stock form.
you wont hurt your engine revving to redline, but it does make it harder to shift. you probably wouldnt be any slower shifting at 6500

I have the big 16 turbo and it seems to not spool up until sometime after 5000. I'm not exactly sure when. Haven't driven it that much, but you say around 6500 is fine Or since I have the bigger turbo should I shift around 7000. I am running 15 psi

Depends on your driving style. Normal driving, I usually shift around 3k, spirited driving, 5-6k, all out running hard, max rev limit. Stock rev limit is 7200, so for you, would say max rpm shift would be 7k.

would having 189,000 miles be to dangerous shifting around 7000? I'm running 15 psi on the big 16 turbo. Haven't really ran it hard since I've bought it two weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a more serious issue if your 16G is spooling at 5k!!!! Before going balls to the wall with boost and driving, I would make sure the engine is up to par. Do a compression test, boost leak test, address and oil/coolant leaks. I healthy motor is paramount when playing with these cars.

You have a more serious issue if your 16G is spooling at 5k!!!! Before going balls to the wall with boost and driving, I would make sure the engine is up to par. Do a compression test, boost leak test, address and oil/coolant leaks. I healthy motor is paramount when playing with these cars.
I was thinking something was wrong since it took so long to spool up. Couldn't it also be the tune that it has?

You probable have a pre turbo exhaust leak. When I put my 16g on, it was leaking from exhaust mani to turbo connections and wouldn't hit full boost. I would make sure all bolts are tightened before and after the turbo, then do a good boost leak test on the car.

Also when I was logging my big 16g at 15psi on stock fuel had about 20 counts of knock at 5200 rpm and would increase as rpm went up. I would turn it down to 12psi, that is when I had 0 counts of knock on my big 16g. The oil rings went bad now I am running 14b at 14psi with 0 knock. 15psi I get 1-3 counts just so you know.

Hope this helps, BTW I have 152k shifting at 6800 when I run 1/8th mile. 2700-3500 normal driving conditions.

You probable have a pre turbo exhaust leak. When I put my 16g on, it was leaking from exhaust mani to turbo connections and wouldn't hit full boost. I would make sure all bolts are tightened before and after the turbo, then do a good boost leak test on the car.

Also when I was logging my big 16g at 15psi on stock fuel had about 20 counts of knock at 5200 rpm and would increase as rpm went up. I would turn it down to 12psi, that is when I had 0 counts of knock on my big 16g. The oil rings went bad now I am running 14b at 14psi with 0 knock. 15psi I get 1-3 counts just so you know.

Hope this helps, BTW I have 152k shifting at 6800 when I run 1/8th mile. 2700-3500 normal driving conditions.

I probably sound like a complete noob asking this but what do you mean by knock exactly?

Last edited:
+1
We'll put, and some useful info their chumpa*^+¥€>~^ :thumb:
Interesting name, does it have a meaning?
Haha thanks, and no I was just saying random things one day when I was like 5 to come up with some name that would always be available on any site as a member or what have you so I could always use the same one. I just liked the way that sounded and so it stuck. Never had to stress with coming up with some clever workaround name with underscores or random numbers so I'd say it worked :thumb: Thanks for asking! I'm guessing you have a 98 gst?LOL

Ha I think I may have a blown head gasket. It overheated so I replaced the radiator cap because the gasket in the other one was shot. So now the radiator hose gets fat and hard which I believe indicates a issue with the head gasket right? This could be why the turbo spools after 5000 rpm right? I haven't done any compression tests, or boost leak tests yet.

Yep I have boost leaks all before the turbo. A couple of bolts are missing and stuff. Who ever had this vehicle before me either didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care. I can't say much I'm still a noob at this but I'm just saying LOL

I dont understand what youre saying when you say "shift points". There is no magic number, every car is different and if you know how to drive stick you know when to shift.

Weird question no offense.

Yep I have boost leaks all before the turbo. A couple of bolts are missing and stuff. Who ever had this vehicle before me either didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care. I can't say much I'm still a noob at this but I'm just saying LOL
Well good you found that your self, you'll do fine. Just fix them and report back here with the results.
I dont understand what youre saying when you say "shift points". There is no magic number, every car is different and if you know how to drive stick you know when to shift.

Well, all cars have an ideal shift point per gear, and while not all DSMs are the same obviously, you can get a good base point. Some vehicles have weird shift points; go on the SyTy forum and that will become evident. There's not really a sure way of knowing without asking and hes new here and got his question answered so its all good :thumb:

I asked this because like you said all cars are different. So I may know how to drive stick and have a feel for the car but that's that. To maximize the car's performance I wanted to know what the recommended shift point would be while street racing. I guess the question was a little off.

Well good you found that your self, you'll do fine. Just fix them and report back here with the results.

Well, all cars have an ideal shift point per gear, and while not all DSMs are the same obviously, you can get a good base point. Some vehicles have weird shift points; go on the SyTy forum and that will become evident. There's not really a sure way of knowing without asking and hes new here and got his question answered so its all good :thumb:

I'll get everything done and check back in with progress reports. I appreciate everyone's help.

Dang sorry to hear it may be the HG :cry:. But a Compression test will help with that, as the hose could just be old and need replaced. My hose on my old cutlas supreme would get really big like almost 2X's thought the same thing but all it needed was new hoses. But if it is the HG, Knock it out in a weekend with a buddy and a case or two.

A lot of fun to be had their. :hellyeah:

The owners manual of the 2g NT lists the optimal shift points for fuel economy. It goes off MPH - 15, 25, 40, 45

Update guys. Exhaust and boost leak fixed. I took the manual boost control off it was rusted. Ordered a boost controller off of eBay for 13 bucks LOL It pulls so hard now. Still boosting 15 pounds on the t25. Which I thought I had the 16g but I was mislead when I bought the car smh. Took the blow off valve recirculation hose off and the blow off is extremely loud now but cuts off sometimes. Let's see oh I had the exhaust guy run 3 inches from the down pipe back. Hope it helps with performance.

Update guys. Exhaust and boost leak fixed. I took the manual boost control off it was rusted. Ordered a boost controller off of eBay for 13 bucks LOL It pulls so hard now. Still boosting 15 pounds on the t25. Which I thought I had the 16g but I was mislead when I bought the car smh. Took the blow off valve recirculation hose off and the blow off is extremely loud now but cuts off sometimes. Let's see oh I had the exhaust guy run 3 inches from the down pipe back. Hope it helps with performance.
Glad to hear you got your stuff worked out. You really should have the BOV recirculated. What do you mean it cuts off?

Why do we need it to recirculate back into the intake? But I believe that's what makes it cut off sometimes. Doesn't happen often. When I shift after the pressure has built up and the blow off valve went off it did it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back