The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Sequential shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney Dsm

Proven Member
May 25, 2016
Westland, Michigan
In the process for building a custom sequential shifter for a 1g awd stick. Seems like the other options are to spend some serious coin which is bull

No road racing just think they're cool and I have free time at work.

We are just very limited on transmission mods, LOL

1500 no thanks that's why I'm building my own. Stated that when I started the thread. Stuff like that is available but waaayyy too expensive

But if you need a sequential shifter then why buy another dsm?
It's one of those things that when people are actually in need of it, then they pay for it.
Like a dogbox Trans for example, for the price of a dogbox you could buy a very nice dsm, but no matter how nice the dsm is, it's not a dogbox. If that makes sense.

What kind of mechanical/engineering background do you have to be able to build a working sequential shifter?

There is going to be quite a bit of r&d time involved along with trial & error and to do it half ass without a digital gear indicator would make it pointless.

A couple options you have are, To use a rack and pinion design to rotate the two channeled plates that will operate the shifter cables.

It looks like SQS might rotate their gear selector plates with a shift pawl system.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US6308797B1/US06308797-20011030-D00005.png

I think any evo 5 speed will work. Been looking into one of these for a while. Dogbox helps but doesn't fix miss shifts.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Aircraft mech plus many years working in maintenance/mill shops and just general mechanical aptitude

In the process for building a custom sequential shifter for a 1g awd stick. Seems like the other options are to spend some serious coin which is bull

Can you make a real sequential selector inside the transmission? like what MTI racing made for corvettes. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...equential-transmission-conversion-system.html

full benefit can't be realize if you make shifter that can only move up or down. It still defeat the purpose of shifting quickly. Ikeya formula shifter are over priced and only mimic what real sequential transmission does.

Can you make a real sequential selector inside the transmission? like what MTI racing made for corvettes. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...equential-transmission-conversion-system.html

full benefit can't be realize if you make shifter that can only move up or down. It still defeat the purpose of shifting quickly. Ikeya formula shifter are over priced and only mimic what real sequential transmission does.
Sequential is the shifter. its nothing to do with inside the transmission.

I will probably eventually get one of these shifters because normal shifting a dogbox is not that much fun, sequential would just be funner.

Exactly it's more fun and different ! And if you could do it for cheap (less than 100) out of pocket why not!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back