The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Sea Foaming on sitting car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2011
Modesto, California
So Sunday is the big day (head removal) and I was wondering, would it be a wise idea to seafoam the car BEFORE I remove the head? Or after?

My car hasn't ran for 4 years and is sitting currently so do I have to drive my car in order to make the best out of it? Or can I just rev my car to clear the system? Because I'm not sure it's safe to drive my car yet being that it sat for so long.

Also, being that I'm gonna take off the head and get some work done on it, would it even be worth it doing the seafoam? I'm gonna replace a bunch of new things such as gaskets and other replacement parts. Idk if that makes any difference on when to do the seafoam or whether to even do it.

Why would you need to? Youre taking the head off. Just clean it up when its off. I suppose seafoam could have some benefits on sticky rings etc but anything else it's supposed to clean you'll have full access to once head is off.

Okay see that's what I did not know. Whether seafoaming would benefit anymore than just the head area. The head will be taken to a shop so will be cleaned. I just didn't know if it's something I should do regardless. As in, if it would clean any other areas other than what's going to be removed.

Like I stated, my car sat for so long so I didn't know if it would benefit from it. Does seafoam clean the fuel tank at all since some of it is supposed to go in there? I only ask because I didn't clean the fuel tank since the car has been on empty for that long so I don't think it really needs the cleaning but if so, would seafoam be enough?

Not being familiar with the circumstances of it being set up or the environment, I would pull the head then check the cylinder walls for surface rust before wiping them down and putting some oil around the pistons to soak down around the rings. Easy enough to turn it over by hand with a ratchet. Let the shop deal with the head. Overly cautious? Perhaps. Better than broken rings or scored cylinder walls.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back