The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G sd at what point

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If your using a 2g or Evo maf, under the amount of airflow they can reliably meter, there is no "need" to go SD.

But, it does a few things even I that range. You gain room, probably lose a lb of weight, but the biggest thing is it will allow you to use a larger air filter, and the MAF isn't in the way too so you reduce the low pressure area in front of the turbos compressor, which makes it more efficient.

So there is still power to be gained, how much depends on each setup. I wouldn't expect to really feel any difference with the butt dyno. But I bet it would show on a dyno.

Also yeah claims of the tune being "smoother" once well dialed in, and effected less by leaks...Oh and I suppose you can vent the BOV if you wanted...maybe it's the ricer in me but I do enjoy a loud BOV.

Last edited:
I had the stock maf then fn maft now sd simple looking cleans up a lot. Never looked back. Not as bad to tune set it up watch the video I had mine tuned on dyno here in town.

I posted this recently but here goes: On my previous set up i ran stock 2g MAF at an honest 52lb/min.
That's a lot of power. The tune seemed pretty darn good on e85 and it certainly pulled like a 500whp car.
I now have a way different set up with SD. I didn't need to do that though and part of me regrets it. Adding in more components and complicating things. Then again, on my Black i could, in theory, hit 60lbs/min.
2g MAF is stretched thin up that high, not to mention the physical restriction it causes by being there in the first place.

My vote is Link w stock maf. You'll be happy tuning and seeing results. It's REALLY easy

I had sensor issues with my old and tired maf i gotlink years ago and had to ditch my maf, my goal is around 400 on my stock bottm end. What are you running now. and above that 400 mark once my 6 bolt blows up.

A FP Black, 3" exhaust that's about 2.5 ft long. e85, fic 2150s, 272 crower, stock crank, eagle/mahle, Built head(STM) 1mm OS valves, beehives..........i honestly forget a lot but the tranny is fully built as well. auto awd, roadsurge shifter.
Pumped so much $ into it and then sorta lost interest. You ever get that feeling? That's why i haven't been on here much in the last year or so.

Anyway, yea i went with SD and I never truly dialed it in perfectly. I guess at this age I don't feel comfortable doing pulls up to 100mph on public roads! haha.
In the spring i may take her up to Boostin Performance on a trailer and let them have at it for a couple hours on their awd dyno.

A FP Black, 3" exhaust that's about 2.5 ft long. e85, fic 2150s, 272 crower, stock crank, eagle/mahle, Built head(STM) 1mm OS valves, beehives..........i honestly forget a lot but the tranny is fully built as well. auto awd, roadsurge shifter.
Pumped so much $ into it and then sorta lost interest. You ever get that feeling? That's why i haven't been on here much in the last year or so.

Anyway, yea i went with SD and I never truly dialed it in perfectly. I guess at this age I don't feel comfortable doing pulls up to 100mph on public roads! haha.
In the spring i may take her up to Boostin Performance on a trailer and let them have at it for a couple hours on their awd dyno.

Hey "boost97gst" , If you have any concerns or need help feel free to stop by the shop ,shoot us PM, or give a call up here at Boostin.
(847)-781-1600

2g maf sucks. it is VERY restrictive even at 300hp. turbos spool way faster getting rid of it. the evo 399 maf flows way better. IMHO evo 8 maf is not even a restriction to 400-450whp range. it is that much better than a 2g maf . on the evo forums some say at 400 they saw no increase switching to SD. others said they picked up 15hp.

on say an HTA green you pickup about 500rpm quicker spool switching to evo 8 maf.

My favorite thing about sd isn't about what power level, I'm comfortable where I'm at, but for the benefit of being able to drive my car in the unfortunate event of a blown IC coupler or other boost leak. I can still get home or to where I am going, I just don't have boost. Nobody want's or expects these things but they will and do happen. Accidentally hit a small animal in the road at night and kill your IC, you still can get home or on to the destination. Blow your turbo? You will still be able to drive. I have had these things happen and that is the nice thing about speed density. You can still get home.

It is a real plus. Tuning is not hard, it's just numbers at given loads. V3 walks you thru suggested adjustments. Then fine tune your car from there a bit at a time. Maf cars are going to run per what the maf says it's drawing in so if it says "0" then the car barely runs in fact it probably runs better unplugged if it will run. Speed Density has got me home after every surprise or failure.

Hey "boost97gst" , If you have any concerns or need help feel free to stop by the shop ,shoot us PM, or give a call up here at Boostin.
(847)-781-1600

I don't come on the forum much anymore but yes, you guys are the best in the business so if i don't feel like doing the "road dyno" type tuning then she'll be scheduled for a day at your shop.
I'd say late Spring this year.
Thank you!

Isn't a drop in the weather effect the tune? I've read some guys can make it up the street without the car hiccuping in 10-15 degree drop... any truth to that?

Edit I meant to say" can't make it up the street"

Last edited:
My favorite thing about sd isn't about what power level, I'm comfortable where I'm at, but for the benefit of being able to drive my car in the unfortunate event of a blown IC coupler or other boost leak. I can still get home or to where I am going, I just don't have boost. Nobody want's or expects these things but they will and do happen. Accidentally hit a small animal in the road at night and kill your IC, you still can get home or on to the destination. Blow your turbo? You will still be able to drive. I have had these things happen and that is the nice thing about speed density. You can still get home.

Probably my favorite part of being speed density, no Damn MAF to deal with, and you can bent your BOV, OR LIKE YOU SAID if you lose part of your IC pipe setup the car still drives perfectly, just with less power.

Speed density relies on Manifold Absolute Pressure and Intake Air Temp secondarily. In fact it doesn't HAVE to have the IAT to work. I see temp swings here in the Midwest almost everyday. Of course if it is colder out the air is more dense but I haven't had to retune anything to compensate for temp swings. Its so forgiving on boost leaks or blown IC couplers etc that it is a comforting feeling knowing if a incident happens, she still drives fine just no boost. With a maf, you are fighting just to get to a gas station or friends place to make a temporary repair so you can go on about your day. :thumb:

well im doing my conversion over htis weekend so heres what i got

before:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/URL]

after:

[/URL]

some of the parts
[/URL]
[/URL]

didnt know witch intake i wanted to use
[/URL]

Echoing the other comments here. I switched to SD way back when I was basically stock just for fun. I've got a 16g set to 20/22psi and everything's still working well. I don't really need SD for these setups but I enjoy the simplicity of it all.

In Denver it's not uncommon to see 30+ degree temp fluctuations from early morning to day. Icy windshield and a down jacket when you leave for work and then a t-shirt for the drive home. Denver is at about 5,280 feet above sea level and I routinely take the car to 9,000 feet to visit family in the mountains. But none of these situations causes any issues with my speed density setup.

Once you get SD installed and functioning, I think you'll really like it. I enjoy tweaking the colorful VE table and getting everything smoothed out.

Mine is the small 16g variant, which I decided was superior compared to the big 16g after reading this old nugget of knowledge. The EvoIII 16g is the third variant but it was more turbo than I needed.

And sorry to disappoint, but I have never dyno'd this car :coy:

Personal opinion of the small 16g after a few years? I love it. Car is stock enough to still be reliable and easy to fix. I just stuck with the basic bolt-ons and supporting mods.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back