The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

SCCA RallyCross National Championship - 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mokkan

Proven Member
May 10, 2013
Hampton, Georgia
The SCCA RallyCross National Championship was held in Indianola, Iowa, on Oct 1-2. Among the 108 entries, 3 DSM's vied for glory and to prove that you don't need a Subaru badge to win in the dirt. All three were pop-up headlight equipped 1g AWD models and all 3 brought home hardware!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After a night of misting rain, the competition started Saturday morning with a muddy field, but turned into dusty trails as the day warmed up. The changing conditions kept everyone on their toes, no two runs were the same. Every time you left the start line, you were dealing with a whole new course, even though the path was the same.

Peter Zlamany attacks the practice course on Friday afternoon. He's built a caged TSi with a 16g for the modified AWD drive class. Peter took 5th place and brought a trophy home to Colorado.

Michael and Angelica Miller built a stroker motor with a 16g, also for the modified class. The extra displacement really puts out a distinct exhaust note that is much lower than the usual DSM sound. Michael edged out Peter to take 4th place.

My 1990 Eclipse is built for the Prepared class, which requires a stock motor and turbo, though the boost has been increased to 14psi. A big brake swap from a Stealth and Feal coilovers help keep this car under control in the corners. I managed to bring home 5th place in the Prepared AWD class with my super secret weapon: custom cut mud tires.

All told, three DSM's are top 5 in nation for their respective classes!

Just a little bit to add here. Nationals was amazing. It's a great place to race and very different from anything we have in Colorado. Last year we went out and after a failed knuckle during practice, attempted a repair but when the hammer broke at 2am we gave up. It was great to actually race this weekend.
The course constantly changed due to the surface, weather and classes racing. Mod got lucky this year as we ran last and had the best course conditions for speed/time.
The wifey and I have a 92 with a 91 front end(never again- but I had to have my pop-ups). 2.3l stoker, feal coilovers, bigger brakes, fmic, 16g, 3 inch turbo back, and of course, Ds-Map.
Peter ran some hotbit single adjustables after have issues with his Ksports. He uses a flashed evo 8 ecu combed with a Dejon Side mount, 16g, exhaust and evo8 rear diff.
Peter is our local hotshoe in Mod All and typically takes 1st at our local events. It was great to finally get ahead of him. We had expected either Peter, Max(evo) or Brian(evo) to take first, and I'm glad it went to Brian. While we generally consider the Evo's to be cheater cars, It was still good to see Brian take it. Brian managed to snag 2nd last year, so a 1st place finish is awesome. Last Years champion got knocked off the podium completely.
The level of competition was intense this year with every error taking a serious hit at your chances to win. Clean, quick and confident was the key to winning this year. I had clipped 2 cones(add 2 seconds each to your time) which would have placed me in 3rd had I not hit them.
All year we have been traveling to the other regions to rock our DSM and take home hardware. It was a great conclusion to our traveling going out to Nationals in Iowa.
We look forward to next year and hope that next year we do even better!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back