The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

SCCA - AWD DSMs moved from ESP to ASP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACM

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2002
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Per November's FasTrack, AWD DSMs, along with 2002+ WRX, have been moved from ESP to ASP.

It would appear that Street Mod is the only viable class for an AWD DSM now.

No - 2015 - basically DSMs have nowhere to run but Street Mod.

Political. Nothing else - we have shitheads populating the SPAC. As usual. Seems to be a prerequisite.

I don't know what I'm going to be doing. I am not inclined to pay the SCCA to get raped again, I'm thinking some other organisation - or perhaps nothing at all. I really, really miss my motorcycles. I have 8 downstairs in my workshop, I'm thinking I need to go back to what I know and Love.

This was never my life, this was a journey - started by the sight of my 98 when I showed up at the dealer to collect it. 3.x miles on the clock - it was the most amazing vision. Mostly because of the dealership's detailing skills - when we showed up to see Kate's Talon (as it became) it looked even better, despite having 60k on it.

This is a love affair for me - I have always needed to race motorbikes my whole life, but apparently all of a sudden I needed to race my Talon. Who knew. Never thought I would get dragged back into cars !

I don't know that I want to go SM - I hate the aerodynamics, I don't want to get into that, no interest. Maybe trackdays in between motorbikes ? My friends keep asking when I'm going to ride again. I can't do both. Not least to the best - that's why I stopped riding, can't be good at both, I learned that the hard way. So maybe I put the Talon in a glass case out on the balcony and go back to what I really love :)

The Scoobys got an out - they got put on the same line as the STis, so they get to mix'n'match anything they want, because it all bolts together, So yes, Greg will be annoyed (as he SHOULD be), but for a few grand he can make his car competitive (and more important - reliable) in ASP and he's back to embarrassing people. DSMs have no such allowance. We are they same we were in ESP - nothing changes for us, except now we have to be 2+ seconds a run faster in order to compete. And those 2+ seconds will come from...where exactly ? Answer - nowhere. Which the SPAC already knew. They consciously decided to exclude DSMs from any form of competitiveness and remove us permanently from SCCA autocross. I do not have the best of intentions towards these people - they are not stupid, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they did this.

I take this personally - since I am the only person running a DSM in ANY class nationally, this was aimed at me, specifically and personally - so no, I do not take this lightly. I take this very personally. What's worse is these are people I know.

Et tu Brute.

I'm so sorry, dude. You absolutely were the only guy competing in a DSM across the country. Were you beating these guys that bad?

Good luck with whatever you do. God speed.

No - 2015 - basically DSMs have nowhere to run but Street Mod.

Political. Nothing else - we have sh**heads populating the SPAC. As usual. Seems to be a prerequisite.

I don't know what I'm going to be doing. I am not inclined to pay the SCCA to get raped again, I'm thinking some other organisation - or perhaps nothing at all. I really, really miss my motorcycles. I have 8 downstairs in my workshop, I'm thinking I need to go back to what I know and Love.

This was never my life, this was a journey - started by the sight of my 98 when I showed up at the dealer to collect it. 3.x miles on the clock - it was the most amazing vision. Mostly because of the dealership's detailing skills - when we showed up to see Kate's Talon (as it became) it looked even better, despite having 60k on it.

This is a love affair for me - I have always needed to race motorbikes my whole life, but apparently all of a sudden I needed to race my Talon. Who knew. Never thought I would get dragged back into cars !

I don't know that I want to go SM - I hate the aerodynamics, I don't want to get into that, no interest. Maybe trackdays in between motorbikes ? My friends keep asking when I'm going to ride again. I can't do both. Not least to the best - that's why I stopped riding, can't be good at both, I learned that the hard way. So maybe I put the Talon in a glass case out on the balcony and go back to what I really love :)

The Scoobys got an out - they got put on the same line as the STis, so they get to mix'n'match anything they want, because it all bolts together, So yes, Greg will be annoyed (as he SHOULD be), but for a few grand he can make his car competitive (and more important - reliable) in ASP and he's back to embarrassing people. DSMs have no such allowance. We are they same we were in ESP - nothing changes for us, except now we have to be 2+ seconds a run faster in order to compete. And those 2+ seconds will come from...where exactly ? Answer - nowhere. Which the SPAC already knew. They consciously decided to exclude DSMs from any form of competitiveness and remove us permanently from SCCA autocross. I do not have the best of intentions towards these people - they are not stupid, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they did this.

I take this personally - since I am the only person running a DSM in ANY class nationally, this was aimed at me, specifically and personally - so no, I do not take this lightly. I take this very personally. What's worse is these are people I know.

Et tu Brute.

Thanks for the reply! I was forced into SM years ago as I built a 2.4L motor and at the same time CACC moved to SCCA classification. A couple of locals still use there 1Gs in ESP and are fairly competitive.

The local WRX guys are really hoping that this doesn't pass. For an average event size of about 50, we usually have 11 - 13 Subaru WRX competing.

Hey Charles,
the 07-08 Audi RS4 is in ESP, 420 hp & should be able to get around 34xx lbs. Funny that the same generation S4 (like mine) is only in ESP because of the "V8 Quattro" catch-all. So I've sent a letter to get it classed, just for sh1ts'n giggles. And the Jeep SRT can't run national events in ESP either. There's gotta be a way to crash the pony party in ESP with something AWD.

I claim dibs on "borrowing" Fedja's dampers if you decide to take a sabbatical. Are triples legal for STX?
When I get the SM car running, you're always welcome for a co-drive.

And we're all forgetting the real victim in this re-class: Doug, how's he gonna pay the bill now? :p

Samuel Krauss
14 Jeep SRT (FS)
04 Audi S4 (STU)
98 Eagle Talon (SM)
95 Eagle Talon (STX)

I've been running SM for a few years now. I just wasn't competitive in ESP with all the Subaru's in our region.

Since moving to SM i've been much more competitive, in my region anyway. Actually my good buddy running a 99 GSX has also been doing very well.

Granted we are not competing on the level some of you guys are, but still.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back