The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

SAFC 2 Won't Display, only dial lights up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Santos

Probationary Member
Apr 27, 2015
Lompoc, California
First off, this is my first post! I've been on the forum for awhile but haven't signed up because I have yet to need to post anything. I would have put this in the tuning section, but my account is limited still!

And YES I have searched our forum, as well as others and asked on facebook and other pages. I have read quite a few similar issues and have tried all that they did to fix it. And YES I will be getting DSM link, but once my build is solid and ready to go. SAFC is just for the meantime.

My situation is, i bought a 1g turbo eclipse that had SAFC 2 installed already, but the car had a lot of issues. boost leaks, sensors broken, vacuum leaks, all sorts of shit. I tore the car apart, and began to reassemble things as best as i could. The SAFC was turning on and functional when i bought the car, but I never used it because i had MAF unplugged due to it being burnt up.

Now i have it all put back together with brand new parts, including upgrading to a 2g MAF sensor. I turn on the car and CEL is on and it's in limp mode.. obviously since MAF is different and it's not tuned. So i figured I can just adjust with SAFC enough to get it to run right and get to a tuner when possible. Now i notice my SAFC won't turn on. The green dial turns on but screen doesn't turn on. After checking connections, all looks ok. I used jumper wires to try different power sources and grounds but nothing. So i undid the SAFC and hooked up red wire directly to positive battery post and brown and black wires to negative battery post (as stated in another post to check if controller itself is good and the connections were bad on the wiring job)... but my SAFC STILL only had the dial light up but no screen. When brown wire is connected without black wire, the unit has a faint humming noise. When black is hooked up, with or without the brown wire it doesn't make that noise.

I have taken the 2 screws off the back and checked if anything appears to be burned up or fried, but nothing looks damaged. I checked the pigtail and it is in the unit nice and secure. I have no idea what to do.

Any help is much appreciated.

It sounds like the SAFC is toast. Once the screen goes out, I think they are pretty much done. Nothing you can probably do besides get a different one and try it unfortunately. Do you know what size injectors you have in the car? If they are 550's you could probably get it to run okay without the SAFC since you are now using a 2g mas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back