The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Rusted axle nut

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronald Wolf

Probationary Member
Oct 2, 2018
Baltimore, Maryland
So my friend gave me his old 96 Eagle Talon Tsi. I just needed to fix it up. Well I'm on my last thing to make it drive able. I need to replace the rear CV axles but I can't get the axle nut off. Its really rusted. I only have like a 17in breaker bar and I've tried PB Blaster but it won't budge. Any suggestions? The CV axles are trash anyway so if theres another way I can get it off from like the other side than just let me know.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The picture is before the pb plaster and yes I know its rusty as hell LOL

Impact wrench will make quick work of that thing. After working on my dsm for so long without one, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it now. You won't regret buying one.

Impact wrench will make quick work of that thing. After working on my dsm for so long without one, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it now. You won't regret buying one.

Yeah, I remember the days of cheater pipes, breaking tools, frustration, and sore muscles before getting an impact. I have a corded Kobalt and cordless Craftsman both rated around 350 and 300ft/lbs respectively, but thinking about picking this up for those really stubborn nuts and bolts:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-extreme-torque-impact-wrench-64120.html

Kind of skeptical about the 1050ft/lbs of torque rating, but all the reviews I've seen have been positive. Right now it's only $99 with coupon in the latest flyer. My first impact was the cheapest Chicago Electric version rated at like 240ft/lbs, but there were several fasteners that it wouldn't remove or even loosen (ie crank bolts, axle nuts, suspension bolts).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back