Running a fuel filter BACKWARDS?

Posted by psychlow, Jun 10, 2004
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum.

1. psychlow

psychlow Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Does anyone know what ill effects running a fuel filter backwards has?

I'm running a 3/8'' hardline from the tank to the pump, and I bought a filter that has the flare on one end and a hose fitting on the other, but when I install it the way I need it to go, it's backwards from the intended flow direction.

Thanks.
  2. 1993TalonTsiAWD

1993TalonTsiAWD Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Glendale Heights, Illinois
    If it's like most then you can only install it one way. If backwards it would not flow as well and may cause you pump to a higher pressure to meet the needs.

In one word change it...I mean two words LOL

Derek
  3. psychlow

psychlow Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Hrmm... well, I may just monitor the line pressure and see how it does. The filter is very high-flow with 3/8'' ports on both sides, so I think this one would probably flow twice as much backwards as the stock one would with its tiny little banjo fitting. :D

Thanks for the help!
  4. boostedinaz

boostedinaz DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Why not just fix it and be done with it? You are leaving things to chance when it would take you maybe ten minutes to change it. I have never understood people that buy super nice parts and then do a half-a$$ install. Then the parts fail or something else fails becasue of that install and then they "dont understand what happened, that filter should support way more than what I am throwing at it." :rolleyes:

Michael
    :talon: :laser:
  5. psychlow

psychlow Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    I would reverse it, but it's not a matter of simply "switching it around." If it were that easy, I'd have done it in a heartbeat. The issue is that there I ran a hardline (steel) from the fuel pump all the way to the engine, which was a HUGE pain in my ass. Now, the fuel filter has a flare fitting that will adapt to the hardline, but it's on the end that is supposed to be at the rear of the flow, not the front. In addition, I'm out of room in the engine bay to run a soft line from the hard line to the filter.

Eventually, I'm going to change it, but for now I just want to get my car running. :/
  6. 1993TalonTsiAWD

1993TalonTsiAWD Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Glendale Heights, Illinois
    look at it this way....if you take the time to fix it you may save your fuel pump from pumping so hard to get the pressure you need. Or it doesn't flow enough fuel and you run lean and spend money on a rebuild, that would have costed...the filter installed the right way. Your gas milage may even suffer. They are designed to flow one way and one way only.

Just a few ideas to think about..theres more that could happen.

Derek
  7. boostedinaz

boostedinaz DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Scottsdale, Arizona

What, no way, companies design things a certain way for a reason? Are you sure? I thought you could just buy something and put it in as long as it fit. Weird.

Michael
    :talon: :laser: