The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Rubbing/Grinding Noise when turning Right

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noboost4you

Probationary Member
Dec 7, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
I noticed this noise coming from my girl's 97 Eclipse about 2 months ago. When driving and turning the wheel just a little bit to the right or make a full right hand turn, there is a rubbing/grinding noise. 2 months ago the noise was faint, but noticeable. Now the noise is much louder. It doesn't get louder the more or less you turn. It has a constant volume.

She had her belts replaced about 3 months ago; could they be the problem? It doesn't make the noise when going straight or turning left. I replaced the brake rotor because she needed them, but that didn't solve anything either.

What could be wrong?

If it is kind of a clanking or ticking noise when turning your axle could be going at the CV. Usually you can look under the car and see because it starts with the boot ripping or coming off and dirt and grime getting in there. Hope that made sense, it's been a long day at work.

blueberry_dsm said:
wheel bearing for sure

WTF? How did you come to that conclusion? Noboost4you, is the noise dependent on speed at all? If it is, then I would consider the wheel bearing. Otherwise, check brake pads to make sure you're not down to your squealers. Also, the brake dust shield that sits behind the rotor have been known to get bent and cause squealing.

Hmm, my car does the same thing but only when turning to the left. It is doing so for the last year or two I would say. Brand new bearing on the passenger front didn’t make any difference at all. That axle is also pretty new as well. Checked the shields and they seemed fine as well. It does happen only for the speeds over the 40 mph tough.

Some suggested brake dust shields, some axles, some bearings, you be your own guesser…That driver side hub has a few miles on it (one would say over 150k for sure), while the driver side axle has original 227k…

Fedja

Boot looks fine. There are no rips and no grease coming out of anything. When I installed new rotors, I looked at the pads and they had plenty of meat left. The brake shield has also been bent back incase that may be rubbing.

The noise is not dependent on speed. I can be turning into a parking spot or be merging onto the highway; the noise is constant at either speed.

And it's really not a clanking or ticking noise, its more of a grinding/rubbing noise. The tire isn't rubbing on anything because we used two different sets of wheels.

Any other ideas? Thanks for all your inputs

have you had your alignment checked? even if you havent done anything with the suspension or anything, alignment can still get messed up if you hit something, thats why up here in Minnesota, you typically get your alignment checked in the spring when all the snow is gone, just in case if you hit something in the snow, it will mess it up again. I would get a rubbing noise when i turned left on the highway at around 60 mph or higher, so i got my rear end aligned, then they said my front control arm ball joints had a little play in them, so i took it to the dealership and they replaced both, and got it aligned best as possible, they said i need a caster kit because of my suspension if i want it to be perfectly aligned, but the noise is almost eliminated now.

had the same thing happen to me on a civic i once owned....whenever i made a right turn it would grind...ended up being a tie rod

Check for play....Mine were making this weird rubbing sound that squeaked...And after failing state inspection due to my tie rod ends on both sides having to much play, I changed them and the squeaky rubbing sound went away...It's hard to say what's your problem without being there and hearing the sound. Also it still may be your CV Shaft even though the boot isn't torn...Again, it's hard to say over the internet.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back