The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Royal purple vs Mobil1

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63eagle

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2009
arozonoo, Africa
I want to switch to synthetic oil, I see royal purple and mobil1 come up the most. Its about 10 extra bucks for the royal purple is it worth it? or is mobil1 5w30 fine?

Just use oil, that's the best kind of oil for your engine. You are not going to gain or loose anything from oil, just change it. 5*F of temperature will make a larger power difference. I use standard oil in my 10 second car, you? The only thing that matters is the warm weight I.E. W20 W30 W40 W50. That's just my opinion though. Keep spending all that money on oil and not on parts.

Just use oil, thats the best kind of oil for your engine. You are not going to gain or loose anything from oil, just change it. 5*F of temperature will make a larger power difference. I use cheap oil in my 10 second car, you?

I never said "i would gain or lose anything" I just wanted to switch to synthetic because of synthetic oil quality, I wanted to know if it was worth the 10 bucks to buy Royal purple or if the mobil1 will do just fine:thumb:

mobil1 will work just fine. any synthetic oil is all synthetic oil.... mobil1 is just a band wagon that everyone has jumped on... yes it good but other synthetic oils are good aswell.
the only difference between all synthetic oils is the additives in them

MOBIL1 will work dont waste your money on MORE expensive stuff cause mobil1 is already expensive.

mobil1 will work just fine. any synthetic oil is all synthetic oil.... mobil1 is just a band wagon that everyone has jumped on... yes it good but other synthetic oils are good aswell.

MOBIL1 will work dont waste your money on MORE expensive stuff cause mobil1 is already expensive.

Thank you, Mobil1 it is :aha:

Think with your dipstick Jimmy!

Haha sorry, saw the commercial and just had to:D

any one correct me if im wrong but i heard royal purple is bad for vehicles with catalyc converters because it clogs it up

If there is a substantial amount of oil burning in your exhaust, clogging the cat should be the least of your worries.

In a healthy engine the oil should never interact with the catalytic converter / exhaust system.

i use mobil one. i wasnt being kind to my car the last year...took me a year to do an oil change (i know, shoot me right?!) because i was on deployment and didnt drive car too much after that. anyways, i had mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic and a mobil 1 filter...changed the oil and it looked only a month old...so i say get a quality filter (bosch or mobil) along with your mobil 1 oil my friend.

Use what ever is cheaper between the 2 also 5/30 is real thin for our motors I like a 10/40. The only RP I would run is there 20/50 everything else is just way to thin and the engine will burn it up real quick/

I used to use Mobil, then switched to Royal, and now I switched again, to AMS oil. Seems to run fine, just make sure you don't use too thin of an oil or too thick. Some people say Mobil switched their formula and now is not what "full synthetic" used to be. I think it was Castrol that stated they used "full synthetic", but according to old Mobil standards, it was more of a synthetic based. That's why I don't use either. Then I don't remember if I heard or read, but Royal did something similar, can't remember exact details, thats why I said the heck with them all and used Full Synthetic oil from AMSoil.

any synthetic oil is all synthetic oil
Not really. AMSOIL invented synthetic oil and have perfected the formula (as as well as their tranny and gear oils...along with their filters..) and others are just doing their best to make it as close to AMSOIL, but just come in as a close 2nd.

Just that RP and Mobile1 and the others have the marketing edge (sometimes, it's just the name alone that does the selling in which the product itself could be a bit substandard..) over AMSOIL since the others are an on-the-shelf item. AMSOIL can be only purchased via misc outlets that sells the product on the side.

If I had a motor that has just been rebuilt, break it in with dino oils until them rings have fully seated, then head on over to the synthetics. Interestingly enough, as stated, synthetic is really synthetic since it all contains the basic same molicular basis of being the same size whereas dino oils have multisized oil molicules preventing full lubrication, will eventually evaporate which causes the product to wear down faster - is the reason of the 3k oil changes.

It really all depends on what the use wants to use in his motor-why there are choices - , even though when a motor that has been torn down with over 200k on it and has been using AMSOIL, there is absolutely no wear and a very clean motor ..which it can be put back together with the original parts and go for more miles.

Check out their site for more info.

-DSM

i use amsoil in everything, engine, tranny, and diff. i use it in my dd truck also. seen a 5.0 mustang motor rebuilt and ran for 100,000 miles no oil change with amsoil, ripped it apart and you could eat off it. a big +1 for amsoil! used it in all our race vehicles.

I too use it in all drive train parts, and made it quieter and feels better. I will keep using it. I also broke in the engine using old dino oil for few hundred miles and then I switched to AMSoil.

Mobil 1 synthetic and change every 3k/3 months especially with a turbo car, no need for royal purple unless they're your sponsor. Some food for thought, one of the car mags did a complete switch over to synthetic engine oil/trans fluid/diff fluid (it was a front engine rwd car) and gained 8hp, not because the engine made more power, just the synthetic fluids made it easier for the car to transfer the power to the wheels.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back