Rotary Valve Cylinder Head Prototype

Posted by goldenfab, Nov 16, 2016
DSM Build Journals - Start a Journal to document your DSM build and document race events, dyno days, etc for the car.

Please Support Strictly Import Motorsports
  1. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    The only thing I can think of is difference in cam duration maybe, but since you don't have conventional cams, I guess there shouldn't be a problem ;)

2. goldenfab

goldenfab Probationary Member

Dewey, Arizona
    I got the sensor installed and am getting spark and fuel. I cranked her over. Some spits and sputters but will not start. I think the ignition timing is off. I'll hook up a timing light next to see where it's at.

So close..

3. DSM's 4 life

DSM's 4 life Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    This is awesome. have you looked into the Cam sensor Made by Kiggly racing?
    http://kigglyracing.com/all.html/
    Also you should contact JafroMobile on youtube for Oil system Brainstorming

4. miguelmcv

miguelmcv Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Fresno, California
    Are you getting fuel? Make sure is not flooring the sparks, if temperature sensor is bad the ecu will send to much fuel making almost imposible to start (when cold).
    Double check you have spark as well.

Give a brake to the starter in between so it can cool down otherwise you will be replacing it to soon.

5. goldenfab

Dewey, Arizona
    No I had not heard of that cam sensor. Thanks for sharing. I'll look into it. I'll shoot Jafro a message it sounds like he knows his stuff when it comes to that.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I need to get the coolant sensor fixed for sure. I need to get a new pigtail ordered as well as the iac working. I have spark just lost about all the compression only ~20 psi due to the seals giving way. I hear you on the started.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. zedicus

zedicus Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Garden city, Kansas
    i seen someone mention swapping plug wires, if you went through with the ecu mod and needed to swap plug wires you will want to check injector pulse and make sure the injectors are firing at the right time, per cylinder. they can be off and still run o.k. but for what you are doing i would think you would want to verify they are actually 100% in time.

7. goldenfab

Dewey, Arizona
    I had not thought of that but good point. I'm sure that is the case. I'll probably hack together a simple signal inverter between the CAS and the ECU for now.

8. zedicus

zedicus Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Garden city, Kansas
    if you are running a 1g CAS just take it off and spin the inner piece over once and then put it back on. this will invert the signal and you can at least check and see if things line up. again you are kind of adding bandaids to bandaids but for now it will let you make sure things are at least happening at the correct time. then you can worry about doing things the 'right way'.

9. goldenfab

Dewey, Arizona
    @zedicus, thanks for the info.

The project has been stagnant for a while but I made some progress this week. I finally got around to building an electric furnace to do this..
    16830658_1443999518975791_1844769896924304999_n.jpg

I located some powdered metal, and made a die to press the powder. Here is the die I cam up with..
    16819476_1443992958976447_2632566761619025740_o.jpg
    ..And here is the pressed part before sintering. Its 5% by weight graphite powder..
    16819144_1443992948976448_5623357448462615675_o.jpg

and a short video on the process

GST with PSI likes this.
  10. zedicus

zedicus Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Garden city, Kansas
    you should cryo that stuff. the parts AND the die. especially on prototypes. you can even do the final machining step or make further alterations via machining cryoed parts. it is a very good investment in motors.