The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Rod Big End side clearance to crank help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Hello all once again! I am having a hard time finding any documentation about the proper "stock" side to side rod clearance to the crank. I am not exactly sure what the technical term is for this clearance so I can't seem to find the proper information anywhere online. I did find something, but am not sure if it is correct. The term used is "Connecting rod big end thrust clearance". Is this correct?

The reason I ask is because I took my engine to the machine shop to have the rods sized to have .010" to .012" clearance on the sides of the big end of the rod. this is .005" to .006" gap on either side of the rod. The machine shop told me that this is WAY out of spec and they would not do this unless I brought them proof that is what they should be set at. The clearance numbers I posted were given to me by Jackson Auto which is a known reliable machine shop for DSM's.

Could someone please help me locate these specs online for a stock crank and rods? I am going with Manley rods and pistons, but I need to at least find the stock settings to show the machine shop the proper tolerance.

You dont want more than .010 if everything is in spec they should be between .006 and .010

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back