1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

rocker arm

Posted by MrStudgsx, Feb 10, 2008
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. MrStudgsx

MrStudgsx Probationary Member

east brunswick, New_Jersey
    hey i was just wondering what are the symptoms of a bad rocker arm? I have a feeling one might have popped off.

2. 1992awdlaser

1992awdlaser Probationary Member

Wallace, North_Carolina
    Misfire would most likely happen. And you would probably hear it inside the valve cover. Why do you think one has "popped off"?

3. 16gpoweredgsx

16gpoweredgsx Proven Member

Paterson, New_Jersey
    Your car would probably run like a## b/c if you did lose a rocker you would have a valve hanging open or closed. Just pop off the valve cover and take a look. Only a 5 min. task.

4. MrStudgsx

MrStudgsx Probationary Member

east brunswick, New_Jersey
    I was thinking maybe it did because when im driving and the car goes of 3k the car feels like its slowed down and i cant go faster until the car shifts, and the makes a weird noise after 3k likes its hitting a rev limiter. The car is Automatic.

5. drewvr4

drewvr4 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Hendersonville, North_Carolina
    Check engine light?

Where does the sound come from? You can always take the valve cover off like the other guy said and look. But I doubt thats going to be it, the one time ive seen one pop off was my buddies convertable got hit by a deer in the front and somehow it knocked two off and it make the worst noise.

6. tqmx1

tqmx1 Proven Member

Sacramento, California
    Open it up and check. I had a roller come apart years ago the engine ran fine seeing that there are 4 valves per cylinder but there was a intermintet tick I could not track down. When I removed the cover 1 exhahst rocker roller had come apart (it was still in place) and it destroyed the cam:cry: so 1 cam and rocker later the car is back on the road.

And by the way the big parts of the roller are still mia down in the oil pan ROFL 90k later.