The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Ricks turbo talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Posting up a thread about my 95 eagle talon tsi. Sadly I am in need of some motivation/ help. But first some back ground. Me and my dad drove out to castle rock WI to look at this. The car came with a big 16g, FMIC, and a set of gauges that were not hooked up (Boost, A/F, and Oil pressure) and was said to be on 560cc injectors.

I drove the car in this condition for a while, being gentle on it and getting used to it. I also put on my xxrs that i had siting in my closet. I eventually got the wideband hooked up along with the other gauges. First thing that i noticed is that the transmission was grinding.

When i went to drain the trans. there was no fluid in it. So i yanked it out and found what resembled a bolt. Some how a bolt got pushed through the bell housing and was dancing around with my clutch. So I went in with a ACT 2900 clutch, along with a fidanza lighten fly wheel, and a stock trans. that i found local along with a 2gb talon front bumper. And this was the start of the parts bug.

After i got the the new trans in i didnt drive the car much as i was looking to get it tuned and have it be reliable and get the true power out of it. So boxes started to show up.

2ga headlights for the 2gb talon front bumper
3gen revised lifters
crower 272/272
hallman MBC
aeromotive AFPR
-8an valve cover
-8an catch can
880 PTE injectors
walbro 255
Big 16g
B&M short throw
non-cruise cable
rebuilt 1g throttle body with by-pass plate
Hks sequential blow off valve
3in turbo back megan racing exhaust
1g cas
megan racing 32 way coilovers
ingals front camber kit/home made rear
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image9.jpeg
image10.jpeg
image11.jpeg
image12 (1).jpeg

So the car became a garage queen and for the next month or so it was all about putting these parts on. After i had all this together i was was ooppss i need to get something to tune with. And being in college and low on funds i went with a black box ecu and was gonna flash.

That was easier said then done. My first round of attempting to tune i bricked my first ecu. So bummed out i acquired the help of someone that knew how to flash. And after about a month of getting no where. Running into problems every day, boost leaks every where ( now all fixed), bad fuel pump, not holding fuel pressure at all ( still have this issue), bad maf, and just inconstancy with how the car preformed.

After stopping the tuning the car was parked and forgot about. Now is the time to get things figured out, i really have problems tuning the car. So trying to get back into the car i started with scanning for DTC using evo scan. What i am getting is really unpredictable so here is a list of all the codes that have showed up in the ten times i have scanned:
vehicle speed sensor
barometric sensor
knock sensor
injector circuit
fuel pump relay
ignition coil
ignition circuit

Thats the total list but today when i went to get the codes i was only getting these

Egr sensor
ignition coil
ignition circuit

And i have my egr blocked off, and with the current tune it will start and idle but idles rough with a little idle surge. And i have not drove the car in about 2 months.

The goals for the car is to be a reliable 300AWHP DD and from there its only going up.

Looking to get some motivation/ help on what to do next, i think i should start with the DTC codes and get it drive able so i can go get an alignment and then a tune by a shop ! Right now this is how the car stands with the driver fender and front bumper off, with paint coming.
image3.JPG

image2.JPG
image1.JPG

Attachments

• image13.jpeg
    image13.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image15.jpeg
    image15.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image21.jpeg
    image21.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image24.jpeg
    image24.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image26.jpeg
    image26.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    537.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 72
plugs are good, and thats a good question. It is a black box that i have been flashing with. Do you know if there is a way to check it? when i bought it i looked at the mother board and it looked clean. Do you think it could be the tune? i am in no way good at using ecu flash. But dont see why i would be getting all these CEL. I think im going to go start the car up and let it warm up for 20 mins to clear things.

I'm not familiar with the blackbox. I would double check all your sensors as well. Maybe discount the battery for a bit to let the caps drain from the ecu and then try to start it. Make sure no boost leaks doesn't hurt to triple check that

Few things were done in the last week.
Got my ride height set with my new fender that i painted.
image1-2.JPG
Also put on the hood i just painted and fixed all my gap issues.

image2-2.JPGimage3-2.JPG

here are some pictures of me painting:
image4.JPG image3.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG

next up is painting my talon 2gb bumper, but it is covered in plasti dip and can tell it is going to be a pain to paint. And i also have an issue with no fuel pressure after i turn my car off. As soon as i turn it off i have no pressure so i will be looking into that this week!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back