The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Review: SCE ICS Titan Head Gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maperformance

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2007
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
What is the ICS Titan?

The ICS Titan is a Copper Head Gasket made by a well known gasket maker SCE.

Many 4G63's have tried to run Copper SCE Titan or SCE Pro Copper Head gaskets with O-Ringed motors and the initial buzz about copper head gaskets was kind of shot down. These gaskets leaked, didn't hold power even with O-Rings and in general were considered a bad solution.

The Titan part of the gasket name means that it comes pre-made with sealant around the oil and coolant passages.

The ICS Titan is different in that it comes with a piece of Stainless wire built in the the combustion seal area of the head gasket. It is partially squished out of the copper when the head is torqued, in theory making in an "O-Ringed" motor without having to machine the head or block with grooves to hold an actual O-Ring. Sounds great!

Another "advantage" of the Copper head gasket is it transfers heat better between the head and the block. This can be a advantage causing more stable temps, but I think the difference with this is small.

I called SCE and talked to one of their tech support guys for a little while, and he said that the gasket should work awesome for our application (40PSI and over 700whp). I am taking this all with a grain of salt as it is HIS product he is talking about.

We decided to order one up. It sat on our shelf for about a month and then one night during dyno testing we blew out/lifted the head with a Cometic Gasket. We called it a night.

One night during the week we decided to pull the head off and try the SCE ICS. Head was pulled off, cleaned, same with block, and we put some new 6bolt ARP's in there for good measure, like we always do on our race motors.

With both surfaces cleaned, we cleaned off the SCE and slapped it on. We did not use any copper spray or any other sprays before putting it on, per SCE instructions. We torqued the head to 95ft lbs and started the car. It started right up.

Let me stress something that was stressed when I talked to the SCE rep.

He said to let it get up to operating temperature without putting ANY load on the motor, and then to shut it down and let it cool COMPLETELY off. We did this, as that is what we were told to do. After the motor had completely cooled we backed off each head stud individually to where there was no stress on the gasket and then retorqued it. We did this to each and every head stud individually, which is what SCE recommends. After this, we threw the car on the dyno and made 709whp. Then we took it to a local AWD Dyno and made over 540 with some minor problems (clutch slip, spark blowout).

Since then, the car has done probably 2500 miles on 600whp with E85 (28PSI) and raced and beat many cars. We then threw C16 in it and took it to the track, ran 10.19@146 with unknown boost, and it took all this like it was nothing. Head gasket has probably 3000 miles on it now, always making over 550whp and never being babied.

I think a lot of people are mis-installing the gasket and not doing it per the instructions. This is our first one, and we have no issues with it.

CN: If installed properly, the SCE Titan is a good competitor to the Cometic Gaskets.

Wow, Great article guys. We need more stuff like this from vendors.

I had been thinking about running this exact same head gasket but was unsure if it would work because of the lack of knowledge around it.

Just to clear up one thing, Is this the one for O-Ringed heads or the one with the O-Ring in the Headgasket?

Thanks a lot guys, You'll have my business when it comes time to purchase one.

Wow, Great article guys. We need more stuff like this from vendors.

I had been thinking about running this exact same head gasket but was unsure if it would work because of the lack of knowledge around it.

Just to clear up one thing, Is this the one for O-Ringed heads or the one with the O-Ring in the Headgasket?

Thanks a lot guys, You'll have my business when it comes time to purchase one.

The ICS (Internal Combustion Seal) Titan is what we used. This is the one with a built in o ring that does NOT require any block or head machining.

I have heard reports of it not being a good gasket, but so far I have come to the conclusion that it is a good gasket.

Nitrous and more power will be coming. We'll see if it holds up to that!

how about explaining why its "CRAP" i hear that about every headgasket offered for our cars. everyone has a different opinion and a lot of the times it has something to do with installation or the surfaces of the cylinder head and/or block.

I'm sorry, I pulled the head off of a motor that had one installed and it was never even run. The built in o-ring was hanging out into the bore of the block. So I am glad it was never started. I then tried another one in my own racecar and it promptly blew out on both sides of the #2 and #3 cylinders. Boost never went above 28psi on C-16 and never saw any knock. Also I rechecked the head for flatness afterwards and it was still within less than a .001" in any direction. So basically no good reason for failure. I have never had much luck with any copper gaskets. I dont know why you would ever use one when there are and have been so many excellant MLS choices out there. My experience with copper is they are not forgiving at all. As soon as you knock or lift the head or spike it past its threshold copper deteriates rapidly, whereas MLS gaskets are much more forgiving and tend to deal with the above mentioned situations much better. I am not the only one that has had bad results with the ICS. So all in all I say they are crap.

I think a lot of people are mis-installing the gasket and not doing it per the instructions. This is our first one, and we have no issues with it.

I agree, I think about 99% of the people out there don't install their headgasket's correctly. That goes for composite, mls, and copper.

Keep beating on that gasket and let us know how it turns out.

I'm sorry, I pulled the head off of a motor that had one installed and it was never even run. The built in o-ring was hanging out into the bore of the block. So I am glad it was never started. I then tried another one in my own racecar and it promptly blew out on both sides of the #2 and #3 cylinders. Boost never went above 28psi on C-16 and never saw any knock. Also I rechecked the head for flatness afterwards and it was still within less than a .001" in any direction. So basically no good reason for failure. I have never had much luck with any copper gaskets. I dont know why you would ever use one when there are and have been so many excellant MLS choices out there. My experience with copper is they are not forgiving at all. As soon as you knock or lift the head or spike it past its threshold copper deteriates rapidly, whereas MLS gaskets are much more forgiving and tend to deal with the above mentioned situations much better. I am not the only one that has had bad results with the ICS. So all in all I say they are crap.

Had you retorqued it as maperformance did?

GVR4592, w/ oem headgaskets, I've been backing off my arps and retorquing after 5 heat cycles (just idling) and when completely cold. It's worked for me. I get decent results considering the hell I put a composite gasket through. Is this correct? Is this how all gaskets should be treated? Copper/MLS/Composite.

I'm really interested in this headgasket. I don't want to go to MLS bacause of so many issues stemming from needing a resurface. I'd rather just "throw on" another gasket and go. And having the "o-rings" seals the deal. This gasket looks like it would hold up to pure hell.

Cometic's are clearly a AWESOME gasket, and I am not arguing that. The fact that almost everyone has problems with Cometics without a fresh 50RA block deck and head resurface, and this could be a good alternative. It has proven to be good for us so far, and we are NOT nice on our motors. This gasket has probably seen ~150 dyno pulls on top of all the other street/racing.

I just decided to state our luck with one up to this point. It has about 4000miles on it now, and still no leaking.

We are building another motor that we should be making ~1000whp out of. We will probably be trying this gasket + A1 Head Studs for this one.

I installed mine correctly, as did many others who have had issues. I am not new to DSMs, and have used just about every gasket on the market. Also, anyone that is shooting for big horsepower numbers shouldn't be trying to avoid simple things like proper head and block surfacing. I disagree than Cometics are awesome gaskets. Of all the MLS choices out there they are about the worst. Their new Fuzion gasket has alot of promise however.

I am sure some guys will have good luck with the ICS just as certain people have and will have great luck with cometics, and even factory composites. My opinion on the ICS however is that it is inferior to the better MLS gaskets available.

Put simply. It's still a good idea to spray some Gasket Sealant on the Titan ICS. I used one. It didn't seal my oil galleys and so it leaked oil down the back of my block. A bad water pump and blown Rad hose on a very busy freeway made me drive my car for almost 1.5 miles with my temp gauge pegged and probably next to no coolant in the motor. After that I would leak compression under boost. Regular compression test was still 155 across the board. Head was warped severely.

So I say the Titan ICS HG is a good gasket. I was told by FFWD to install dry so I did. But next time around if I decided to use one again I'm going to spray it with Mopar Gasket Sealant. I can't say enough good things about that product. I hate copper spray mainly because of it's very short setting (working) time frame. The Mopar spray won't set for almost an hour. Anyways. My thoughts on HG are in order from best to least on a common DSM motor build are Mitsu MLS - Titan ICS - Cometic - Every composite felt gasket.

On a sever duty motor I would pretty much have to go with block o-ringed with Titan Copper HG followed by a composite HG but probably first choice would be Fel-Pro.

So it seems like we have a sort of 50-50 consensus on this SCE Titan HG. I have a new one not installed yet but am still debating on whether to use it or not or just sell it. Sure wish I knew for certain which gasket would be a sure thing. Want to use 30 psi max at the track and go as much as 20 to 25 psi on the street.

I agree with all that stated the "incorrect install" portion of this. Having no personal experience with the titan ICS, I think I will attempt to get one for the next round. Also, for the guys with street cars, Cometic is a great choice. I have recompressed my 3 times with ZERO sealing issues before changing it.

Man, the last post was Last year...I have been searching for this head gasket on the forums, but nobody seems to have much info on it. I want to use it as my HG on my daily driver as overkill (as most of my setup is overkill for a daily seing no more than 18psi) but dependability is my number one concern. I have a Buschur stage III block, with a remanufactured head (blew the stage three o-ringed head due to no water= very warped head) and would like to know the best dependable HG for my setup if I want to pack a boost of ~22 psi once in a while. my last setup was an O-ringed head with mitsu stock HG.

Ive been using this head gasket since july. It did leak coolant when it was first installed, but stopped when i did the recommended retorque after 1 heat cycle. Ive been running 30+psi since it was installed without any issues and even 40+psi accidentally a few times. I didnt have my block or head machined either. I just used a long flat block to sand them flat.

ICS Titan Head Gasket for Mitsubishi 4G63
In the pictures follow the instructions, for correct and not correct. simple as that.
Wish they made one in 88mm is all. .3 mm is all the extra I got. when compressed it went to .2mm argh but no seal problems from the rings.
works great just make sure to re-torque after 1st heat cycle
2nd make sure you get the right one!!!! any overlap and the ring will come loose or not seal... ahhheeemmmm..:aha:

I know a local guy with a 4g64 swap complaining about Cometic Gaskets pushing coolant in higher boost levels and he switched to on of these and has nothing but good things to say about it

I considered using it but after taking to MAP I decided not to. It's more of a track only gasket that requires constant attention. Stick with a composit or OEM/Felpro MLS gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back