resonator, pre-silencer, muffler?

Posted by idt512, Aug 16, 2004
Bolt-on Tech - 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

Please Support Magnus Motorsports
  1. idt512

idt512 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Hemet, California
    whats the difference? Id like to quiet down my exhaust system, which one to go with? I have a 3" system with hi-flow cat and magnaflow muffler and id like to quiet down the humming during normal acceleration and idle

2. RossY

RossY Proven Member

Canton, Ohio
    Muffler- I must believe you know what this is

Resonator - Basically its just a muffler before the muffler, it's straight through design packed with fiberglass or the sort to absorb some sound. Some people argue whether they really help or not

Pre-silencer - Don't think ive heard of PRE-silencer but i have heard of a silencer, which is basically something you can put on your muffler to help tone sound down a little more at the cost of hurting flow of course.

I really don't know how loud your exhaust is but it's never really going to be that quiet simply because its a 3" exhaust.

Hope that helps :thumb:

3. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Springfield, Missouri
    I'd go get a resonator welded in, at the local exhaust shop. I had one welded in because my exhaust was to loud and the resonator quieted it down quite a bit. Not all resonators have packing or whatever in them. Mine is straight through with little baffles on the walls.

4. arnie carlos

arnie carlos Probationary Member

seattle, Washington
    I have a BR 3" cat back, welded a 3" resonator from Extreme motorsports. I'm guessing that it reduced the sound by around 5db. For me it's worth it, since I drive it 50 miles everyday to work. ;)

5. beat90tsi

beat90tsi Proven Member

pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    resonator helped my high load/rpm noise, but didn't really change idle.

6. NDgsx

NDgsx DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Vancouver, Washington
    That's the worst possible style you can use. They flow as much as a 2.25" pipe.

You want a perforated core, not louvered.