The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Wiring harness pin removal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mork

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
This should be a pretty simple question for someone.

I'm trying to remove some now unnecessary pins from the wiring harness going to my ecu. What is the best way to get these out with common tools or household supplies? I found a pin removal tool but it does not work for this wiring harness.

As a related question does anyone know the best place to get more pins for the wiring harness? I tried the usual parts stores and they pretty much said it was a dealer item but the closest dealer here is over an hour away.

Go to Radio shack and they will set ya up with everything you will need..

If you're trying to remove wires from the ecu connectors, follow these directions:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...w-remove-replace-pins-harness-connectors.html

I've also had success with this tool, although small jewelers screwdrivers work just as well:
Home » Shop » Tools » Removal Tools » GM Type Metri-Pack ( Metripack ) and GT Removal Tool - Thin Blade ( 150, 280 and others )

If you're trying to remove pins from connectors in the engine bay, they are different than the ecu connectors but similar. Some you will have to remove plastic wedgelocks from before you can remove the pins. Which are you trying to remove pins from? I can tell you how if you let me know the particular connectors. The factory instructions are found here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/han...x-relocation-project-log-5.html#post151671032

As far as getting new pins, I am also interested in this answer because I have never seen them for sale before. I'm sure there are some wiring companies that make pins that are compatible but I don't know where to find them. I have parts of a spare wiring harness so if you need a few pins in particular I might be able to send you a length of wire you could solder in.

Thank you for the offer but if I can get some pins out using those methods then I'll have a few extra but I was interested in what it took to buy some. Carquest told me that they could probably get me some in bulk (~25) but we didn't actually check the computer. Tomorrow I will probably check Radioshack but for the night I got enough wiring done that I could leave it for the night and finish it up tomorrow.

I was wiring in my evo8 ecu and managed to get to the point where I can read and flash the ecu so my next step is learning enough about editing roms to get the car running then I'll do my final wiring cleanup which is when I'll go to Radioshack with a pin from the harness to see if they can find anything.

So I finally got back out into the garage and I'm having a bit of a problem. I can't get the connectors out. I read the instructions several times and I'd like just a bit of clarification because my eyes aren't that great and neither is the lighting under my dash.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

In this picture the screwdriver appears to be in the top slot pushing the clip downwards. In that case for the middle pins I would be inserting my jewelers screwdriver into the keyhole shaped holes and starting in the large part then pushing the tip inwards towards the center of the plug. Is this right? I messed around with pushing the pins around but got to the point where I was damaging the plastic. I did remember the lock on the side of the plug so that is not the issue.

I wouldn't absolutely need to get this right but the end result will be much cleaner if I can swap the pins and it doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

It's been awhile since I removed a pin and I don't have those connectors in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you slide the screwdriver in the small portion of the hole, then lightly pry up towards the large part of the hole while lightly tugging on the wire from the back. Don't worry about the little rectangular hole below the main hole. You need a small screwdriver to do this, anything larger than 1.4mm won't fit in the small part. Once you find the "sweet spot" they will be very easy to remove.

In this picture the screwdriver appears to be in the top slot pushing the clip downwards. In that case for the middle pins I would be inserting my jewelers screwdriver into the keyhole shaped holes and starting in the large part then pushing the tip inwards towards the center of the plug. Is this right? I messed around with pushing the pins around but got to the point where I was damaging the plastic. I did remember the lock on the side of the plug so that is not the issue.

No in that picture the blade is lifting the plastic retainer up away from the pin.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back