1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

[RESOLVED] What is this thing? Imasen, E8T08474

Posted by EricGRIT09, Jan 29, 2008
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. EricGRIT09

EricGRIT09 Proven Member

Syracuse, New_York
    So here's the story. (Go to the next paragraph if you just want to identify the part, but I have some other problems that need some help in this paragraph.) My taillights, driver side marker light, and dash lights all worked sometimes, and not other times. This has been going on for about a month now, so my dad and I started working on finding the problem tonight. Well, as we were checking wires and grounds my dad took a bunch of ground wires and touched them to what he thought was a ground wire in the fuse box. Turns out it was the positive side of the 60Amp Fusible Link. :tease: A quick pop, and the horn just stayed on. Headlights also. Radio doesn't work either. Now here is where it gets weird. When the headlight switch was on the 'on' position, there was a clicking sound coming from the radio/ecu area behind the dash. At first we thought the ECU was toast, as disconnecting the large connector on that made the clicking stop. Finally, we found the real reason for the clicking. Some weird bronze box right next to the ECU, on the passenger side.

Made by Imasen, it is stamped with 'E8T08474' and '5213'. Most information I found was that Imasen makes 'seat' products for mitsubishi.

Below are some pictures of this thing. Any help would be appreciated, anyone know what this is?

P.S. Sometimes my horn just stays on now, along with the headlights (with the switch off). I'm going outside to check it out now, but anyone have this happen before?

-Thanks in advance.

2. fp-green-95tsi

fp-green-95tsi Proven Member

Rising Sun, Maryland
    MPI relay.

3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    On the 95 both the MPI and fuel pump relays are in that same unit.

4. DontStartModdin

DontStartModdin Proven Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    So is the one he has pictured out of a '95 then?

It looks like your normal MPI relay to me.

5. EricGRIT09

EricGRIT09 Proven Member

Syracuse, New_York
    Yes it is out of my 95 GSX.

Thanks for the help guys, noobie question, but nothing led me to know off the bat that it was the MPI relay.

Well, things seem to be working on my car again, but kinda off and on, hopefully the ECU isn't fried, haha.

6. skeeter4200

skeeter4200 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Boise, Idaho
    Ive kinda had the same problem when I blew the 100amp fuse while changing the ALT. (forgot to take the batt. terminals off) and when I would turn on my headlights it would set my horn off too

7. Bmx and Dsms

Bmx and Dsms Probationary Member

DSM Profiles:
    Broadway, North_Carolina
    So would the MPI relay also be the cause of the car not turning on and the dash light dimming out when i try to crank the car on ?

8. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Engine not firing/running - yes. Not cranking - no - that would be poor battery or battery to starter and ground connections bad or battery cables bad or bad starter. But most of the time its poor connections or battery.