The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] Headlights and horn won't turn off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96gstdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2006
monroe, New_York
So my Eclipse has been sitting for about 6 months now. I got it started today and it started right up. It was sitting because I bought a new car and also it had some problems after it's build. Idling and stalling and over heating problems mostly.
Now I guess I blew a couple of fuses somehow because my windows and radio don't work. Haven't gotten around to checking them out.
My headlights once turned on, will not turn off. I have to pull the fuse and then put it back in. I do have aftermarket headlights, but I never had a problem with them before. I checked out my horn and it works, but then stayed honking until I disconnected the battery quickly.
My car also keeps stalling once warmed up which I have another thread about. Lots of problems at the moment with it. Also smoking from oil somewhere under the turbo. I guess one of the oil lines is loose or something. Haven't had a chance to jack it up and take a closer look yet.

They were supposed to be plug and play but didn't work so cut them up and wired them together. Was working perfectly before.
Just remembered though that the new battery I got today, my friend put it in backwards at first since the terminals were opposite to how my old battery was and connected one terminal and the second one touched before I stopped him. It sparked up a bit. Would that have friend something possibly? The fuse is good and all for the headlight as they headlight will obviously go on. Just wont go off.

I had similar problems when I got hit, Alternator choke fuse had hairline fractured. Bought a new one 100 amp fuse (why not, big system) and everything from the radio to my headlights worked right again. Hope this helps! :dsm:

I had similar problems when I got hit, Alternator choke fuse had hairline fractured. Bought a new one 100 amp fuse (why not, big system) and everything from the radio to my headlights worked right again. Hope this helps! :dsm:

same here, except i accidently burn the fuse by touching the alternator w/ a socket without disconnecting the battery...

OK well I replaced the fuse today and I guess the issue is not resolved.
Earlier today I had someone come over to look at my car to possibly buy or trade for it.
It started up fine but then when we went to drive it, it died immediately.
Jumped it with cables and was good but then when turned off would not start at all again.
So I went out and got a new 100 amp fuse for the blown alternator fuse.
Started right up and the windows and headlights and radio all worked fine now.
However when turning the headlights on the engine would go to stall out. I quickly turned the lights back off and the rpm's came back up.
I tried again and same thing happened.
I then with the lights out just revved it a little bit and then let off the gas.
It then died out.
I tried to start it back up again and now nothing at all. It does not even turn over now or anything. Just makes a click only.
Any ideas on what would be doing this? Windows and lights and all still work, but it will just not even try to start.

I have not yet, but would it blow from the fuse going out? It never had any problems before.
Also could a bad alternator cause the car to stall out when turning the lights on?

I don't know if it would blow from the fuse going out, but the fuse may be going out because the alternator is dead. Mine went out about a month ago, and the car was straining, and when I cut the lights on, it died. It may simply be the fuses, or the belt, but check the alternator just in case. Power Steering fluid dripping on them is what causes a lot of problems, so make sure that's not what's happening. I threw a Galant 90 amp alternator in mine and haven't had this problem since.

Ok I'll have to check that. Anyone else think it is the alternator? Or any other ideas of what would be causing this?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back