The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] best tool to use to cut an exhaust off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teflon

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2008
Blackwood, New_Jersey
Hey I need a suggestion for the best tool to use to cut an exhaust off (from behind the cat). Ive been using a grinder all morning with no luck and I don't own a sawzall.

You cant cut the pipe with a grinder? What kind of disc do you have on there? I'v cut alot of exhausts with a grinder and have never had any problems getting through the metal.

Are you using a cut-off wheel on the grinder? I would think that a proper cut-off wheel would make short work of exhaust.

You also could buy/rent/borrow a sawzall. Home Depot rents tools.

To tell you the truth I don't know what type of grinder wheel it is. Its black with a cross-section metal threading And cutting it isn't really the problem. I have it 2/3's of the way through but the disk isn't big enough to cut all the way through without the grinder hitting the bottom of the pipe.

It sounds like you have a cutting wheel that is wearing down. Go buy a bigger diameter wheel if you can find one big enough for what you want to do.

A hack saw.... Might take you an extreme amount of time. But they have metal cutting blades for them. Or go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap sawzall.

When I did mine, I had a Thick chain that had a handle on end and in the middle of each link, there was a small circular blade.....You would wrap the chain around the exhaust where you wanted to cut and lock the link(opposite side of the handle) in place to fit snug on the exhaust......Then all you do is move the tool back and fourth and within a minute, you exhaust is off.....

I rented it at an auto parts store but not sure if what stores you have where you live....

I don't own a hacksaw either LOL. I really don't have many power tools, just a lot of hand tools. I have a rotozip but I'm afraid of it jumping and taking out the bottom of my car :) That thing its vicious.

All you got to do is take off the rubber hangers on the exhausts so it can hang down some and cut the last bit from the top.

They sell one sort of like it; more of a vise grip with the cutter blade welded to it. Works the same, just isn't quite as fancy and takes a little more space to work it. Harbor Freight sells one that's a little different still , so there's no shortage of designs to do the job.

Yea sawzall! does the trick in about 15-30 seconds?

we used one to hack off my buddies exhaust like right after the resonator/cat in his 2wd Ford ranger...god that thing was noisy as shit. He didn't care and thought it was funny as hell...he backfired under a bridge one time and I was with him...some mexican guys in an escalade next to us pulled out a gun and started shouting at us....we slammed on the brakes and whipped a Uie over the median...he bought a new exhaust after that :D.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back