[RESOLVED] Alternator (Generator) Relay Location ?

Posted by mtwollet, Mar 8, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum.

1. mtwollet

mtwollet Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Southern Indian, Indiana
    Hello, I have a problem to where I randomly get charging voltage coming off the alternator to the battery,

Following Problems

Charging system warning light active on Dash, AFC shows randomly , per each vehicle startup, that the battery will be recieving a charge. ex 14v.

Taken The following actions.
    Replaced Battery
    Tested Alternator

Cannot see it being the connections, and it appears to be the generator relay. would anyone have a pic or be able to describe to me where it is, thx

Also, I just noticed as well, dash lights are showing low coolant light on along with winhshield washer light ?? , temp is ok and full of coolant and winshield fluid, just the lights are on for some reason ,, huu?
  2. Kroven

Kroven Probationary Member

Knoxville, Tennessee
    The generator relay should be right next to your coolant reservoir and kind of under your air box. It's the only relay there so you shouldn't have much problem finding it.
    (All of this being on the passenger side of the engine bay).

I just found this out today myself thanks to the handy service manual. My relay just fell apart putting my engine in and so I've been searching for what it was but now we both know.
    :)
  3. holo82

holo82 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    East Prairie, Missouri
    Nice job finding out what it was :)
  4. mtwollet

mtwollet Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Southern Indian, Indiana
    I do realize this is a old thread, I have now replaced the alternator after much cussing, and problem resolved, charging system warning light gone, and now charging correctly, This is ment for reference for anyone else w/ issue like this,,

Problem resolved.
  5. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Columbia, Missouri
    Anyone have any pics?

I have a brand new alternator and new battery...same story.
  6. RobsterRawb

RobsterRawb Probationary Member

Tacoma, Washington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres a pic, came across this thread trying to figure out my charging issue, the brake and coolant lights would come on and it would stop charging, but when it was charging (randomly) it was going great.. found this guy after seeing this thread and it fell apart really easy and was loose when i took it off.. anyone know where to find these guys or what to ask for? I went around town asking for an alternator/generator relay and no goof at the computer could find one.. really dont want to go to the dealership if I dont have to.