The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Aem uego issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonalex92

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2006
Akron/330, Ohio
Guys, I havent even had this thing installed for a whole day and after I finally broke down and bought one, it really seems like somethings messed up. It doesnt really seem to move. At all. It stays at 14.8, and I saw it at 14.7 once while driving all day. Im confused, a lot of people have problems with the sensors going bad but, they have theirs reading real lean or nothing at all. I cant get ahold of AEM for help, or summit racing so here I am. :confused:

Guys, I havent even had this thing installed for a whole day and after I finally broke down and bought one, it really seems like somethings messed up. It doesnt really seem to move. At all. It stays at 14.8, and I saw it at 14.7 once while driving all day. Im confused, a lot of people have problems with the sensors going bad but, they have theirs reading real lean or nothing at all. I cant get ahold of AEM for help, or summit racing so here I am. :confused:

doesnt oscilate at all, just stays dead on 14.7 24/7 ? and one time hit 14.7?

I'll see what I can find out in the morning, doesn't seem like it's working though.

There is something wrong with your sensor to gauge wiring. With 12V to the gauge even with the sensor not even connected, it will do the exact same thing youre describing.

Where do you have the sensor plumbed into your exhaust? Do you have a grounding strap on the exhaust?

There is something wrong with your sensor to gauge wiring. With 12V to the gauge even with the sensor not even connected, it will do the exact same thing youre describing.

Where do you have the sensor plumbed into your exhaust? Do you have a grounding strap on the exhaust?

Its plumbed in right around where the 2nd o2 sensor/cat would be but obviously I dont have a cat. And No, I dont have a grounding strap?

So with a wideband you have to make a new o2 bung for it? You can't just use the rear o2 sensor? I'm new to widebands.

The easiest way to see if your WB o2 is working correctly is to do this:

1. sit in the car
2. turn the key to ON, but don't ignite the car
3. the UEGO should cycle through 2 settings and start at stoich (14.7)
4. just watch the gauge for about 30 seconds, it should start reading leaner and leaner until it finally hits " - - - ". at this point, the UEGO is reading 'free air' because there are no exhaust gases going through the sensor.

If it does this your sensor/unit is fine. From the sounds of it, you have a loose wire somewhere. When I mistakenly unplugged the harness from the gauge, it just sat at stoich. Either that, or your sensor is DOA.

1. sit in the car
4. just watch the gauge for about 30 seconds, it should start reading leaner and leaner until it finally hits " - - - ". at this point, the UEGO is reading 'free air' because there are no exhaust gases going through the sensor.

If it does this your sensor/unit is fine. From the sounds of it, you have a loose wire somewhere. When I mistakenly unplugged the harness from the gauge, it just sat at stoich. Either that, or your sensor is DOA.

I cant recall if its going to just --- but it does cycle and show some letters across the gauge before starting. I only remember that, becuase at one point it says "Poo" or, "P00" either way, it stuck. Ill have to check the back of the gauge and see if its loose perhaps. Thanks! :)

Do exactly what blcknkspo0ln said. Some wideband controllers will stick at a certain reading when they aren't getting signal from the sensor. I know when mine loses contact with the sensor it will sitt and cycle from 13.7 to 14.7 repeatedly if the sensor comes unplugged. But if the sensor goes out, it usually either sticks at 9:1 or 25:1 (again these figures are on my unit, not the AEM, but it could be very similar)

So from that info i would think that the sensor is just not connected proiperly if the test blcknspo0ln listed doesn't turn out with the results stated in his post.

1. sit in the car

I forgot about noticing that, nice one. Defiantly try as he said above. Turn the key to ON but keep the engine off, and it should slowly go leaner and leaner if the sensor is working.

Also double check the wire clip/connector and make sure its fully snapped together.

Glenn and Gleason, Thanks for the input. I did what black said, and sure enough. He was right. Turns out I didnt have it inm the back of the gauge right, I checked it from the back forward and last stop at the gauge and low and behold. I fiddled with it and took it out and looked and pawed at it for a bit (haha) and stuck it back in and VIOLA! Thanks guys!

I have the same problem as it stays at 14.7. After reading this thread I will check out my connections. It seemed I did everything correctly though.

Problem solved! The connection between the wires and the gauge was on. Boy, I love this site

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back