The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

[RESOLVED] 14B turbo on 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4G63dsm1

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2007
Lawrence, Massachusetts
I've seen a 14B turbo for sale for cheap($150) owner says that it has no shalf play what so ever and that it's in pretty good condition. Now my question is: Is this turbo worth that cash if it's in good condition like he says? What's the most this turbo Dish out power-wise?
And i know if i do end up getting it i need the 2G install kit, but can i keep my stock side mount intercooler or do i have to get a front mount? Sorry for all the questions but i'm deseperate to get rid of the stock t25 and this is a great opportunity.

You can use the sidemount IC. I have another question to add to yours if thats ok.

Is the 14b install kit the same as the 16g install kit? (So if a person had a 14b and wanted to upgrade to a 16g, would they have to get a completely different install kit)?

Not trying to steal your thread, I was just curious, and the info might be helpful to you too.

That's not that great of a deal. Just some food for thought I paid $200 for my 16G with J-Pipe and all the lines.

If it doesn't come with coolant lines I believe you can use the ones from the T25. You'll need a J-Pipe to use your stock Intercooler and you'll probably need to get a longer IC hose. I had to "weld" two hoses together which I do not recomend.

I thought the install kit came with the J pipe to use the stock IC?

Yes but I think the "install kit" is overpriced and unneeded. Like I said in my last post, you can use the coolant lines off your stock turbo if the 14b doesn't come with any. I'd recomend getting a decent J-Pipe and an SS oil line instead of an install kit.

I've seen a 14B turbo for sale for cheap($150) owner says that it has no shalf play what so ever and that it's in pretty good condition. Now my question is: Is this turbo worth that cash if it's in good condition like he says? What's the most this turbo Dish out power-wise?
And i know if i do end up getting it i need the 2G install kit, but can i keep my stock side mount intercooler or do i have to get a front mount? Sorry for all the questions but i'm deseperate to get rid of the stock t25 and this is a great opportunity.

On a stock fuel system the 14b can safely handly 15-16psi, any more and your chancing it. A datalogger can really help if your looking to dish it out.

Is the 14b install kit the same as the 16g install kit? (So if a person had a 14b and wanted to upgrade to a 16g, would they have to get a completely different install kit)?

Same kit, same installation instructions. Use the 16g install vfaq on VFAQ Site - Visual Frequently Answered Questions and you'll be all set. It's generally a good idea to get new gaskets and a new oil feed line with every turbo upgrade, but the water lines, oil drain, etc. are all the same.

Is this turbo worth that cash if it's in good condition like he says? What's the most this turbo Dish out power-wise?

A: 150 is on the high side. But compare it to the price of a new 16g, and compare the power levels, and it's actually quite a deal. See if you can talk him down a bit.

B: With all the supporting mods and a hell of a tune, you MIGHT see 300 whp out of it. But expect lower than that on average.

And i know if i do end up getting it i need the 2G install kit, but can i keep my stock side mount intercooler or do i have to get a front mount?

You can keep the SMIC. Check out Dejonpowerhouse for some IC pipe options, or use the stock J-pipe (if the turbo still has it attached) and modify the stock 2g S-pipe to work with it.

The turbo (14B) does not come with any of the lines or the J-pipe. I will talk him down that price. I'm just curious...the J-pipe goes straight to the intercooler correct? If it is then i might as well take it to the muffler-shop i know for a custom pipe that connects to the smic without a hassle. Here's a pic of the turbo:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The stock J-pipe is really just a little elbow, maybe around 6" long. It doesn't curve down so much as curve over.

All aftermarket J-pipes are true J-shapes and point down. Then, normally you have an L-shaped pipe that goes from the J-pipe outlet straight over to the SMIC inlet. Any exhaust shop could make you an L-pipe, but the J-pipe needs to have the flange on it to bolt to the turbo compressor outlet.

Also, if that pic is the turbo in question, it's not a 14b; it's a 13g. 14b's are TDO5's, not TDO4's. The 13g was offered on the automatic 1st gens. The 14b was standard on the manual 1st gens. The 13g won't be an upgrade from the T25.

The stock J-pipe is really just a little elbow, maybe around 6" long. It doesn't curve down so much as curve over.

All aftermarket J-pipes are true J-shapes and point down. Then, normally you have an L-shaped pipe that goes from the J-pipe outlet straight over to the SMIC inlet. Any exhaust shop could make you an L-pipe, but the J-pipe needs to have the flange on it to bolt to the turbo compressor outlet.

Also, if that pic is the turbo in question, it's not a 14b; it's a 13g. 14b's are TDO5's, not TDO4's. The 13g was offered on the automatic 1st gens. The 14b was standard on the manual 1st gens. The 13g won't be an upgrade from the T25.
Yes that is the turbo that he is selling, he said in the post that it is a 14B. Thank god i post the pics up here...see now i know the difference...something new i learned today...thanks for the heads up. He either wants to jerk someone or he doesnt know what he has.

He might just not know. It's commonly said, even here, "1g's have 14bs, 2g's have T25s" and most people leave it at that.

Tell him he's actually got a 13g. Refer him to the VFAQ or the 1000 Already answered FAQ's page if he doesn't believe you. Either he's truly in the dark about what he's really got or he does know and is trying to pull a fast one on someone. Either way, you know better now. :)

Edit: Actually, looking at it again, it could possibly be a TDO4 9b, off a 3000GT. I believe most of the 13g's from 1g's had the 6cm housing, so they had an H- or L--suffix on the end of the TDO4; so TDO4L or HL.

Edit: Actually, looking at it again, it could possibly be a TDO4 9b, off a 3000GT. I believe most of the 13g's from 1g's had the 6cm housing, so they had an H- or L--suffix on the end of the TDO4; so TDO4L or HL.
Wrong. All 13G's had a 5cm2 4-bolt exhaust flange. The 9B is completely different....it has a 3-bolt exhaust flange arranged in a triangular fashion.

The turbo is a 13G, which flows about the same as your stock T25. STAY AWAY!

Get a 16G like I said I found my "small" 16g with lines and j-pipe for $200. Or save up some more money and get an Evo III Big 16G.

Yeah... $150 isn't that great of a deal. If I were to sell mine, I would sell it for like $90 or something. It's really not worth much more than that... maybe $100 for a damn good one.

Anyway, you can use your current water and oil lines from the T-25 on the 14b, you just need to bend them a bit to make them fit. Also to connect the oil pipe to the oil pan will not work unless you drill out the holes and make them larger to fit onto the bottom of the 14b.

I forget what else happened during my install... but I am not satisfied with it. Just save up for a 16g.

I would get the 14b, it spools faster than the t25. Also i would talk him down to get that j-pipe with it.

Since the turbo in question isn't a 14b, the point is moot and all other information relevant has been given.

Due to the compressor housing configuration. The 16g needs a j-pipe to work. The t25 does not. If you look at this picture, you'll see the difference in compressor covers and what's different. The turbo isn't a 16g but it has the same style cover as one. The t25 goes down and to the passenger side. The 16g style turbo comes up and slightly towards the passenger side.

Attachments

• URL]]
    URL]]
    14 KB · Views: 98
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back